3 Batch Day at Valley Brew

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
Today I started 3 batches at once and two batches with grape skins..a first for me!I took some pictures at different stages of the process and wanted to share with everyone. Hereare the 3 primaries with just bentonite added.

Top Left: Winexpert Crushendo Corvina Classico di Veneto

Top Right: Cellar Craft Yakima Valley Syrah

Bottom Center: RJ Spagnols RQ French Merlot

2005-03-12_142909_01Bentonite.JPG
Edited by: masta

Now I rehydrated yeast with water @ 105 degrees and let is sit for 15 mins.

Note: see the white cups on the right..had to taste the juice from each kit!

2005-03-12_144318_03yeast_started.JPG

Added water to bring total volume to 23 L/6 gallons and stirred well.

Is that the Viking Wench who stopped by to help with the stirring?

2005-03-12_144533_05_Stirring.JPG

!5 mins later and yeast is rehydrated and ready for somemust to be added.

2005-03-12_144849_06_Yeast_rehydrated.JPG

Shot of grape skins from Cellar Classic kit added to primary. It has a ton of seeds which with add lots of tannin!

2005-03-12_145020_07_CC_grape_skins.JPG

Added must from each kit to yeast and it has sat for 20 mins and is foaming and ready to pitch.

2005-03-12_145242_08_yeast_reay_to_pitch.JPG

Added grape skins to WE and CC kits and oak to all 3 primaries, stirred well againand just need to pour in yeast and then add cover with airlock.

RJS French Merlot has an awesome color doesn't it?

2005-03-12_145711_10_oak_added.JPG

Nice pictures Masta makes me think about getting some more wine started.....Do you take SG's and acid tests at the start of your kits???

I always take SG at the start of kits and should have done acid but didn't this time due to time restraints. I will follow up with pH tests and sulphites when kits are further along.

Just checked on batches and after only6 hours all 3 have started fermentation and bubbling is slow through airlocks.Edited by: masta

I need to use my camera more, I didn't take any pictures yesterday when I bottled and started my new batch and I have a digital camera sitting right there at my computer.

Bert,

I haven't used it yet because I need to get some buffer solutions but I plan to get it done soon. Will post resultsASAP after I play with it.Edited by: masta

I took some pictures while I was racking a pumpkin wine yesterday. I have to just get them onto my computer...
smiley4.gif

The other two are changing in color with the skins extracting their goodness into the juice...I will post more pics when I rack to secondaries this weekend.

I just checked on my 3 batches and the smell in the room is intoxicating and wonderful! With stirring the grape skins 3 times a day the fermentations are at full speed right now.

Picture on Day 2 before stirring of Crushendo Kit...a nice cap forms with skins and oak chips!

2005-03-14_164859_Day_2_cap_Crushendo1.JPG

Stirring or punching down the cap...lots of foaming and fizzing and I just want to take a sip!

2005-03-14_165039_Day2_cap_Crushendo2.JPG

They look absolutely wonderful!

How much space do you have for fermentation? It looks like it could be a little tight.

Back