Country’s Wine Photos

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! I'm not that young, but not that old either. I was small when John lennon was shot to death and I thought, "Gosh, how terrible!!" and I didn't even know REALLY who he was.

But I do remember they interrupted TV shows for that one.

I have to admit, I cried and cried. George Harrison's death was not any easier.

smiley19.gif
Edited by: Country Wine

In the glass:

2005-03-21_174410_Delicious_Scuppernong_3-21-05.JPG

Damn jittery hands! I am not old!
smiley35.gif

Awesome pics CW..guess you must be holdin your mouth right and figured it out!

Please explain to a Yankee like myself what Scuppernong actually is and what it tastes like.

BTW... my head is out of my butt...so I am listenin!

Scuppernongs and Muscadines are the very same grape genus. Scuppernongs are bronze colored and usually larger. Other colors of muscadines are black, red, and pink. Most are black.All are Muscadines. Scuppernong is a river and valley in North Carolina where the bronze colored muscadines were discovered by settlers and named after the region. I have no idea how to describe the taste of muscadines. They are very unique. Very sweet, aromatic, acidic, a little musky, but not like Concord. They are just another variety of grape. They grow wild all over the south, some of the southwest, and big time in the southeast. Someone on winepress, I think in Delaware, mentioned Scuppernongs growing wild near his home on the coast. The wild black muscadines are all over the woods here, usually under the protection of large trees. Animals usually will eat them all before they are ripe, but if you find them, they make the best wine. There are several varieties of Hybrid vines nowadays, hundreds. They are not nearly as hardy as the wild ones. Here is zone 6b, they need to be on a pretty good south facing slope. The wild vines get huge and will eventually kill and pull down large oak and hickory trees.

Is that enough? Am I vindicated?

smiley5.gif

I use simple methods to making wine, and I like simple, just the facts, labels.
smiley20.gif

2005-03-22_224958_Flossie_Mae_White_Rabbit_Vineyard_03_Scuppernong.JPG

Looks very good, Glenvall. I wish I could smell it too. I bet it's good!!!!

When do you expect to bottle it? I.e. how long do you let your scuppernong age? How long do you leave the oak in there?

Thanks for sharing, what a wine!

Bottle it when it's ready.

Age as long as possible.

Leave in the oak until it is enough for me, usually 2-3 months, minimum 8 weeks.

Any other questions?
smiley9.gif

smiley2.gif

The juice tastes like nothing else in the world, no other grape even comes close to the aroma and unique taste. There is no way to describe the aroma and taste to anyone who never had Muscadines. I just wish I hadn't overshot the SG. It is 1.095 @ 78*F. I was wanting about 11-12% PA. I will top up the carboy with water at first racking, that will help. At least the higher alcohol will be closer to a Chardonnay style, which is what I am hoping to achieve.

smiley5.gif

Oh the taste you describe sounds absolutely incredible. Too bad I'm so far away to not drop by and nip a little. Don't worry about the SG -- I am sure it's fine. Like you said, if you top up with water, you'll probably get to your desired %age.

Latest posts

Back