any wine grapes in central michigan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris889671

Reaction score
I'm very eager to make wine from fresh grapes. I started my first kit less than a week ago and have plans for a batch of fresh but all the vinyards are more than an hour away. i would like to find some local grapes in my area. if you live in central mich. let me know what you have or point me in the right diection. any help would be appreciated. not interesed in concord or any other table grapes.

Not sure if you found this web resource or not - but I would start here in terms of contacting local vineyards on grapes they may sell. Also you may want to call the Michigan Wine Council directly and see if they can point you in the right direction for sourcing the grape varietal you are after. Its highly unlikely that you will find vinafera grape varietal grown in your area, you might be surprised at the quality of wine some of the local varietals can produce. Frontenac and Chambourcin grapes produce some pretty decent wines. Your best bet would be to visit some local wineries and sample some of their wines from various local grape types and if you find one you like, go after that grape type.

All said though - Alma does not have the proper growing conditions to produce the vinafera grapes you may be seeking such as they produce up in Leelanau or down along Lake Michigan by Niles.

http://www.michiganwines.com/page.php?menu_id=56

Your other option would be to find someone who brings grapes in from California, or to order frozen musts from either Brehms or M&M.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Ive searched to no avail. Michigan wines showed nothing close to me. A road trip may be in order.

Naperwineguy, where do you buy grapes? I also live in the Chicago area and looking for a good (better) sourse. Thanks.

There are vineyards in the Benton Harbor area and St. Joseph. Its been years since I've been down that way, but they were very large vineyards. The only name I can think is Round Barn Winery. Its a little more north

taylorridgevineyard.com
A little far from you but closer than St.Joe/Benton Harbor.
They're in Bangor, which is just north of South Haven.

I have also personally bought from lemoncreekwinery.com and had great success with 2011 Chambourcin (still aging) and Vidal Blanc (a delicious, crisp semi-dry wine)

Latest posts

Back