Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > Beer Making > Dogfish Head 60 min IPA clone try #1

Old 01-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #21
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 1853 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mismost View Post
why is wine yeast so much cheaper than beer yeast? And why wouldn't wine yeast for beer? Has any one ever tried it?
Beer yeast is cheap if you use the dried stuff. The liquid White Labs wine yeast is just as expensive as the liquid beer yeast, if I remember correctly (never have used the liquid wine yeast).

I think I've heard wine yeast brings Aunt Ester to the beer party.

A quickie search on the net (and everything is 100% true on the net):

Wine yeasts will not consume maltotriose, so steps must be taken to minimize or break down that particular sugar. You could do that enzymatically, by increasing the ratio of simple to more complex sugars, by splitting your batch and then blending once all fermentation is finished, or by doing a multi-strain pitch. Or you could just live with a sweeter end result.

Many Wine yeast strains have a Kill Factor. They produce a protein that kills other yeast and bacteria that are in the same must/wort with them. Be sure to check on that if you are doing a multi strain pitch, or planning to bottle condition with a beer yeast.

Wine yeasts will produce different esters, and you will want to keep that in mind. Pick one that will produce flavors that will work well with the beer that you are brewing.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #22
Redbird1

Aug 2016
Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
The Dogfish clone recipe from MoreBeer is $51 with yeast. A little cheaper. That comes out to about $6 a six pack just for ingredients. I am just trying to see what it cost to make a really good home brew beer. I realize as you scale up and buy/brew in larger quantities your cost per bottle will come down.
If you're still in the market, you can use promo code "SAVEME5" to take $5 off, plus they have free shipping over $59.

ibglowin Likes This 
Old 01-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #23
Redbird1

Aug 2016
Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
The Dogfish clone recipe from MoreBeer is $51 with yeast. A little cheaper. That comes out to about $6 a six pack just for ingredients. I am just trying to see what it cost to make a really good home brew beer. I realize as you scale up and buy/brew in larger quantities your cost per bottle will come down.
If you're still in the market, you can use promo code "SAVEME5" to take $5 off, plus they have free shipping over $59.

Edit: I'm going to have to order a Tart of Darkness kit. I've always wanted to try it, and $30 isn't that much more than I'd pay for a bottle from the liquor store.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #24
ceeaton

Feb 2015

I think might bottle this one for some extended aging, so I dry hopped it in the carboy. 14g Glacier, 14g Amarillo, 7g Simcoe. Smells like I added a pine forest to my beer!

Boatboy24 Likes This 
Old 03-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #25
ceeaton

Feb 2015

Finally got around to bottling this beer today (I dislike bottling, love kegging), nice clarity, could smell it all over the house, good hops. Might have a keeper here. Will probably be one of the first beers I try after the alcohol fast. Should be in the bottle at least three weeks before I disturb one. Aimed low on the priming sugar as I don't like overly carbonated beers (my English roots showing through). This one should age pretty gracefully if I leave it alone since it had a bit of umph to it.
3-19-17_60-min-IPA.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 05:16 AM   #26
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 3999 Times on 2424 Posts
Likes Given: 6816

A shame I will not be at Harford this spring, as I'd love to steal one of those from you.

BROAD RUN CELLARS

Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #27
ceeaton

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatboy24 View Post
A shame I will not be at Harford this spring, as I'd love to steal one of those from you.
Heck you were going to get a 6 pack or two. Guess if I see @AZMDTed down there he'll get some instead.

I definitely plan on re-making this one again once I taste test it against the real McCoy, so you may be inline for a "new and improved" version this Fall. Never know, I might just be able to UPS you some if I deem this batch worthy, you'll just have to p.m. me your address when that time comes. I would imagine shipping would cost less than driving to Chantilly and back, plus I know UPS ground gets there in a day (we ship proofs etc to Government agencies all the time and use UPS Ground to get it there by the next afternoon (though it usually gets delivered by Noon, just not guaranteed)).

Boatboy24 Likes This 
Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #28
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 3999 Times on 2424 Posts
Likes Given: 6816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeaton View Post
Heck you were going to get a 6 pack or two.

Dang it!!!

BROAD RUN CELLARS

Old 03-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #29
AZMDTed
Just a guy

Feb 2015
Liked 441 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeaton View Post
Heck you were going to get a 6 pack or two. Guess if I see @AZMDTed down there he'll get some instead.
Craig, thanks. You're welcome any time you're able to come on down. Just let me know. I'm not a beer drinker but I thank you for the mention anyway. Btw, I've got two extended maceration cabs in carboys now (Eclipse Lodi, and a CC showcase), plus a third one three and a half weeks into EM.

ceeaton Likes This 
Old 04-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #30
ceeaton

Feb 2015

Finally got to taste this project side-by-side with the real McCoy. I'm amazed how close I got on this first try. My up front bitterness is higher than the "control" version, but the hop aftertaste is less intense. When I make it again I will start the hop additions at 50 minutes verses 60, that should slightly reduce the bitterness and add some more hop character to the finish. Leaf hops would also be a benefit when dry hopping. All in all, this is a very good beer. Will be nice to have a few cases around this summer as one or two any evening would be enough to satisfy any beer urge I'd have (plus my version ended up being 6.5% ABV).

People Like This