Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > General Wine Making Forum > Pump Choices

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
Megawine

Mar 2017
Likes Given: 2

Here is another pump I found on Amazon. Reviews show that other winemakers have used it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012CFTYX4...I1QD9CGKO5YE7T

Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 4679 Times on 2519 Posts
Likes Given: 1906

That pump uses oil. Oil and wine don't mix. Don't care what anyone has said on the reviews. You do not want a pump that uses any oil as a lubricant as you absolutely will get some back streaming when the pump is switched on/off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megawine View Post
Here is another pump I found on Amazon. Reviews show that other winemakers have used it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012CFTYX4...I1QD9CGKO5YE7T

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
vacuumpumpman
Vendor
WMT_SPONSOR.png

Aug 2011
Liked 822 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 1827

I thought u were going into variable tanks according to your original post ?
Like everyone commented , including mydelf, you can not use vacuum to move wine in that type of a container.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #14
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 3272 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 3541

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumpumpman View Post
I thought u were going into variable tanks according to your original post ?
Like everyone commented , including mydelf, you can not use vacuum to move wine in that type of a container.
The person that posted the oil-sealed pump (Megawine) was not the OP (toneill). Megawine was just trying to help, I think.

I do agree with Mike. Even for vacuum-racking operation, I would not use an oil-sealed vacuum pump.
To know how to say what other people only think is what makes men poets and sages; and to dare to say what others only dare to think, makes men martyrs or reformers, or both. Elizabeth Rundle Charles, writer (1828-1896)
My "bucket list" (AKA, what I've made so far....)

Old 03-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #15
NorCal
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Apr 2014
Liked 1334 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 397

I made this little carrier for my Sureflow pump.

Johny99 Likes This 
Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #16
vacuumpumpman
Vendor
WMT_SPONSOR.png

Aug 2011

My mistake , yes I agree never use a oil filled pump

Old 03-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
Megawine

Mar 2017
Likes Given: 2

I have not purchased that pump yet so thanks for the advice. Had not found an airless pump so will consider the one mentioned. I was planning to hook a whole house filter housing with either a 5 micron or 1 micron filter in between the full carboy and an empty carboy. A hose would run from the empty carboy through another filter housing to act as a overflow reservoir and then to the pump. Thought the overflow housing would maybe prevent any oil from getting to the wine. I have not bought any of the parts yet so can't show you what it would look like.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #18
vacuumpumpman
Vendor
WMT_SPONSOR.png

Aug 2011

Are you looking for a vacuum pump to transfer,bottle and filter , similar to the allinonewinepump?

The oil filled pumps leaks oil thru the exhaust port and can fill up the entire oil mist in your wine room.

Been there, I tried it prior to developing the allinonewinepump

Megawine Likes This 
Old 03-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #19
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 4679 Times on 2519 Posts
Likes Given: 1906

You just need make sure you purchase an oil-less vacuum pump. You can purchase a ready to go system like the AIO or if you like to put things together you can do like I (and others here have done) and put one together yourself. A used medical aspirator pump (found on eBay etc) is the best place to start for a DIY. Other parts can be found on Filters Fast, Morewine, Valley Vintner etc.

There is a parts list for everything you need if you want to DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megawine View Post
I have not purchased that pump yet so thanks for the advice. Had not found an airless pump so will consider the one mentioned. I was planning to hook a whole house filter housing with either a 5 micron or 1 micron filter in between the full carboy and an empty carboy. A hose would run from the empty carboy through another filter housing to act as a overflow reservoir and then to the pump. Thought the overflow housing would maybe prevent any oil from getting to the wine. I have not bought any of the parts yet so can't show you what it would look like.

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Megawine Likes This 
Old 03-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #20
toneill

Jan 2016
Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

Thanks all, gives me some good perspectives. I can see the need for both the allinone vacuum pump and the diaphragm pump from morewine. Since I anticipate pumping 30 gallons from a stainless fermenter to the flex tanks, it would require the diaphragm pump vs vacuum however the vacuum sounds great for many other applications, like pumping into carboy, bottling, filtering if one wanted to, etc.

vacuumpumpman Likes This