Register Now!

Pick a Wine Kit & Win a Wine Kit Giveaway

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > Food, Pairing & Craft Foods > What's for Dinner?

Old 03-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #3711
JohnT
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Feb 2010
Liked 3769 Times on 2186 Posts
Likes Given: 2847

Keep it up. Your doing great!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #3712
JohnT
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Feb 2010

Did some cooking over the weekend.

On Saturday, I made chicken parm (yeah, yeah, I know the song) made with sauce I made from the tomatoes I processed last fall. YUM!

My sister in law was still staying with us. When the topic of dessert came up, I mentioned that I can make a good chocolate mousse. Being a chocoholic, my SIL would not hear any other choices.

For chocolate mousse, I whip some heavy cream (with a little sugar added), and fold in a mix of semi-sweet chocolate chips, butter, sugar, and vanilla extract that was tempered over a double boiler.

I ended up serving the mousse in wine glasses (at least I found a use for them during lent). Since I did not have a piping bag, I had to "spoon" the mouse into the glasses. They definitely tasted better then they looked.

On Sunday, I made a simple meal of chateaubriand with baked potatoes and salad.

Sorry, no pictures...

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #3713
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 2550 Times on 1695 Posts
Likes Given: 2857

Ohh, boy. DW has professional visitors in from out of town. We agreed to host a dinner party tomorrow (Wed.). She cast about the invitations, and when the tally came back, uhhh, everyone accepted. I am now tasked with dinner for 17 tomorrow.

I am making leg of lamb. I went to a little mom-and-pop source of halal meat today, and got a large leg. I butchered and prepped this tonight with a North African spice rub. I now realize that even this won't be enough. I am going tomorrow to get a half-leg from Trader Joe's, which I will prepare in a European mediterranean style. (Could there be two more disparate grocery sources?)

In the meantime, I have set up not one, but two temporary tables adjoining my dining room table, extending out to the living room. In addition to food, I also went and bought more: steak knives, cloth napkins, wineglasses, water glasses, a 10" carving knife, another water pitcher, another roasting rack, champagne, God knows what else...

Wish me luck!
My own experience and development deepen every day my conviction that our moral progress may be measured by the degree in which we sympathize with individual suffering and individual joy. -George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans), novelist (1819-1880)
My "bucket list" (AKA, what I've made so far....)

People Like This 
Old 03-22-2017, 05:25 AM   #3714
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 1492 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_grapes View Post
Ohh, boy. DW has professional visitors in from out of town. We agreed to host a dinner party tomorrow (Wed.). She cast about the invitations, and when the tally came back, uhhh, everyone accepted. I am now tasked with dinner for 17 tomorrow.

I am making leg of lamb. I went to a little mom-and-pop source of halal meat today, and got a large leg. I butchered and prepped this tonight with a North African spice rub. I now realize that even this won't be enough. I am going tomorrow to get a half-leg from Trader Joe's, which I will prepare in a European mediterranean style. (Could there be two more disparate grocery sources?)

In the meantime, I have set up not one, but two temporary tables adjoining my dining room table, extending out to the living room. In addition to food, I also went and bought more: steak knives, cloth napkins, wineglasses, water glasses, a 10" carving knife, another water pitcher, another roasting rack, champagne, God knows what else...

Wish me luck!
You don't need luck, you do it all the time, it's just scaled up a bit. Serve some appropriate wines along the way, it'll be a hit!

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Old 03-22-2017, 05:45 AM   #3715
JohnT
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Feb 2010

You got this Paul!

What are you planning to serve with the lamb?

Remember to take pictures for all of us that are not lucky enough to be invited......

Old 03-22-2017, 07:09 AM   #3716
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 3595 Times on 2045 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

Dinner for 17 on a week night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_grapes View Post
I am now tasked with dinner for 17 tomorrow.

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

sour_grapes Likes This 
Old 03-22-2017, 07:18 AM   #3717
sour_grapes

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd View Post
You don't need luck, you do it all the time, it's just scaled up a bit. Serve some appropriate wines along the way, it'll be a hit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
You got this Paul!

What are you planning to serve with the lamb?

Remember to take pictures for all of us that are not lucky enough to be invited......
Thanks, guys!

Beyond the "Alliance of the Lambs," I will be serving a dish of pearl cous-cous with LOTS of herbs and feta cheese, and a simple dish of braised lacinato kale, with bread and hummus and roasted garlic. The cous-cous dish is a recipe from the lovely cookbook Plenty.
My own experience and development deepen every day my conviction that our moral progress may be measured by the degree in which we sympathize with individual suffering and individual joy. -George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans), novelist (1819-1880)

People Like This 
Old 03-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #3718
Sweetiepie

Feb 2017
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 114

That is too funny. My husband and son always tell me they want rack of lamb, when I ask them "What do you want for supper?" because it's the one thing we do not grow here on the farm, (besides seafood of course). It's their way of getting out of having to make a decision. I was going to surprise them and get rack of lamb (which isn't at our local grocery stores. Maybe Fargo has it but that is 3 hours away. Anyway I was going to order on line and wow the prices were crazy. I could buy a live calf for just a leg of a lamb. So I have never made it. So please do post pictures. They might find themselves with a photo of leg of lamb on their plates. Your supper sounds wonderful.

sour_grapes Likes This 
Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #3719
sour_grapes

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetiepie View Post
That is too funny. My husband and son always tell me they want rack of lamb, when I ask them "What do you want for supper?" because it's the one thing we do not grow here on the farm, (besides seafood of course). It's their way of getting out of having to make a decision. I was going to surprise them and get rack of lamb (which isn't at our local grocery stores. Maybe Fargo has it but that is 3 hours away. Anyway I was going to order on line and wow the prices were crazy. I could buy a live calf for just a leg of a lamb. So I have never made it. So please do post pictures. They might find themselves with a photo of leg of lamb on their plates. Your supper sounds wonderful.
I LOVE rack of lamb, but you are right, it is very spendy. I typically see it for ~$17 or $18/lb here. Leg of lamb is much more reasonable. I paid $6.50/lb from the halal place, although it was more like $10 or $11 at a typical grocery store.

I just picked up the second leg (6.5 lbs) at my regular grocery store, but it was on sale due to being near its sell-by date. Got it for $6/lb!

BTW, I drove the Hi-Line this summer all the way from Oregon to Wisconsin. So, I probably went within a hundred yards of your abode! Beautiful drive.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #3720
Sweetiepie

Feb 2017
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Those prices are not so.... bad. When I looked a couple years ago to have it shipped to me, I think it was over $100 for one leg. I have never had it.

Most people do not think driving through ND is beautiful unless you go by the badlands. Most are bored almost to death. So that is very nice of you to say. I have lived here all my life and go nuts when I can't see for miles. I get claustrophobic. So many trees and people. How do you know what the weather will be like for the rest of the day when you can't see the horizon?

People Like This