Racking Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arlo

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, I have an Orchard Breeze Blueberry Shiraz kit that I started on 22 Sept. and have moved it to my secondary carboy and put in all the fining agents and other stabilizers on the 29th it was .996 and has been stable since. I have noticed that there is still quite of bit of lees left in the carboy should I rack it again and let it sit a few more days/weeks. The directions say i should be able to bottle in 28 days but I don't want to rush it...

Arlo,

Have you racked it since you added the clearing agent and F Pack?

Yes all clearing and F Pack is in.. And actually put them in before I racked it into the secondary

Last edited:
If you have that much sediment still - i don't think you will want to bottle in 28 days. I would wait at least another month.

If you have 1/2" or more of sediment - i would probably rack in a couple weeks at the latest. Then let it sit for about a month.

If you have that much sediment still - i don't think you will want to bottle in 28 days. I would wait at least another month.

If you have 1/2" or more of sediment - i would probably rack in a couple weeks at the latest. Then let it sit for about a month.

Like winemaker says don't rush it. I would wait to rack about 2-3 weeks to let the lees compact then rack and wait a few more weeks if you can before bottling. Be very care not to touch any of the lees when racking or your going to have to wait longer for them to fall out again.

The only way you will know if it is finally finished dropping sediment is to rack it soon, then wait another 20 to 30 days to see if it drops any more. Repeat this process until it doesn't drop any more.

Latest posts

Back