Other Rose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the RJS Pinot Noir Rose in clearing right now. I will age 6 months after bottling. Ready for Memorial Day weekend and to enjoy throughout the summer! Hopefully it's good. It's dry which I love.

Glad I saw this thread to remind me to get started for one this summer. I made the Sauvignon Blanc Rosè for this past summer and it was very good and well received but I wish I had made it earlier. Yeast to bottle was only about 5 months but I would have preferred 7-8 mos.
Times awastin. Gotta start looking into it now. And maybe even open one of the thousands of emails I get from LabelPeelers. I'm not sure if i want the Pinot though. I'm gonna go see what I can dig up.

Also, btw @elizajean , good luck with the SB rose. Like you and many others, I prefer dry red wine. At the recommendation of @Ibglowin and &Boatboy24 (I think) I added the entire F-pack up front and went dry. It was perfect for me and not once did I ever wonder how it would have been had I done half and half.

Last edited:
Glad I saw this thread to remind me to get started for one this summer. I made the Sauvignon Blanc Rosè for this past summer and it was very good and well received but I wish I had made it earlier. Yeast to bottle was only about 5 months but I would have preferred 7-8 mos.
Times awastin. Gotta start looking into it now. And maybe even open one of the thousands of emails I get from LabelPeelers. I'm not sure if i want the Pinot though. I'm gonna go see what I can dig up.

Also, btw @elizajean , good luck with the SB rose. Like you and many others, I prefer dry red wine. At the recommendation of @Ibglowin and &Boatboy24 (I think) I added the entire F-pack up front and went dry. It was perfect for me and not once did I ever wonder how it would have been had I done half and half.

OH, darn! I wish I had seen your post before I finished starting it. I was hesitant about putting the fpack up front, and thought I'll just follow the instructions. I hope it's not too sweet. I wonder.....could I still add it, or maybe wait until I rack to secondary? Just pitched the yeast two hours ago. Ugh.

Thanks!

Not too late. I added the entire F-pack up front and fermented to dry (that's how I like it) and it turned out fantastic.

OH, darn! I wish I had seen your post before I finished starting it. I was hesitant about putting the fpack up front, and thought I'll just follow the instructions. I hope it's not too sweet. I wonder.....could I still add it, or maybe wait until I rack to secondary? Just pitched the yeast two hours ago. Ugh.

Thanks!

As I understand, the Rose will lose it's positive qualities rather quickly so I timed it to bottle in November so a little over 6 months before I open the first bottle in May. And we'll drink it through September probably (if it lasts that long...it won't)

Not too late. I added the entire F-pack up front and fermented to dry (that's how I like it) and it turned out fantastic.

Mike, I already pitched the yeast, a couple of hours ago. Can I add the fpack at this stage, at second fermentation, or do I have to wait until the end?

No way your cool It's just that down time lag phase right now until yeast kicks off. Adding it right now and mixing it in should not do any harm to the process and will still kick off as it should.
I would Try and get an accurate hydrometer reading after adding the red juice but before the yeast gets to work too

Last edited:
No way your cool It's just that down time lag phase right now until yeast kicks off. Adding it right now and mixing it in should not do any harm to the process and will still kick off as it should.
I would Try and get an accurate hydrometer reading after adding the red juice but before the yeast gets to work too

Thanks, just did it! Got an SG reading as well. Fingers crossed!

Did you add the whole f-pac? I did about 2/3, IIRC and put the remainder in after clearing. To me, it's still just a tad too sweet - really just a tiny bit. But I also think going all in with the f-pac and making a dry wine will be very good with this kit. I'm tempted to snag one off Amazon.

Did you add the whole f-pac? I did about 2/3, IIRC and put the remainder in after clearing. To me, it's still just a tad too sweet - really just a tiny bit. But I also think going all in with the f-pac and making a dry wine will be very good with this kit. I'm tempted to snag one off Amazon.

Jim, thank you for your post. It confirms that I did the right thing by going all in with the whole fpac upfront. I don't care for sweet wines. Get one!

I still have about 4 bottles left that are going on 15 months old. The last one opened last month had not lost any positive qualities.

As I understand, the Rose will lose it's positive qualities rather quickly so I timed it to bottle in November so a little over 6 months before I open the first bottle in May. And we'll drink it through September probably (if it lasts that long...it won't)

To all those that made the rjs pinot noir rose... I tried it today and it was rather weak. I'll bottle on day 42 as per the instruction (about a week) and it still has sediment floating around. I'm sure it'll settle, but I was more worried about it tasting rather bland and low in alcohol. Did you guys experience that? I hope this improves a lot after aging

To all those that made the rjs pinot noir rose... I tried it today and it was rather weak. I'll bottle on day 42 as per the instruction (about a week) and it still has sediment floating around. I'm sure it'll settle, but I was more worried about it tasting rather bland and low in alcohol. Did you guys experience that? I hope this improves a lot after aging

We did that kit, came out at 12.5% tastes ok for a 12liter kit for a rose if thats your thing, not sure why you still have sediment floating around after 42 days, possibly stirred some up after reracking maybe? All the white/rose kits weve done have cleared perfectly after using the kietsol chitsan clearing agents supplied with the kits. I dont use the clearing agents in the reds weve done.

We did that kit, came out at 12.5% tastes ok for a 12liter kit for a rose if thats your thing, not sure why you still have sediment floating around after 42 days, possibly stirred some up after reracking maybe? All the white/rose kits weve done have cleared perfectly after using the kietsol chitsan clearing agents supplied with the kits. I dont use the clearing agents in the reds weve done.
Well, I'm at day 36, but hopefully it clears up in the next couple of days. And this was a 18L kit so hopefully it gets better, but it was rather weak when I tasted it yesterday.

Latest posts

Back