Beginners questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbeck

Reaction score
We've fermented our wine from our grapes and then moved the wine from the primary fermenter to carboys. It was still fermenting in the carboys but looks like its about done since its not bubbling much through the airlocks.

I think we should rack to new carboys, right? Should we be adding potassium sorbate in addition to some camden tablets when we rack? Is this the point in time you normally do that (add the potassium sorbate)?

How about degassing? I have the tool for a drill but not sure when I should degass.

Sorry about the simplistic questions but been doing some reading and didn't really find clear answers so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Don't rely on airlock activity to determine if fermentation is done, use a hydrometer and if you get the same readings over a couple of days and it is in the range you expected then it is done.
Yes, if it is one you can rack over, degass and add your stabilizing agents, you can degass before during and after stabilizing, I typically run the drill for 2 minutes, add stabilizer, drill 2 more minutes, add clearifier, drill 2 more minutes.
Seems to work ok for me, my wines come out nice and clear

We've fermented our wine from our grapes and then moved the wine from the primary fermenter to carboys. It was still fermenting in the carboys but looks like its about done since its not bubbling much through the airlocks.

I think we should rack to new carboys, right? Should we be adding potassium sorbate in addition to some camden tablets when we rack? Is this the point in time you normally do that (add the potassium sorbate)?

How about degassing? I have the tool for a drill but not sure when I should degass.

Sorry about the simplistic questions but been doing some reading and didn't really find clear answers so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Use a hydrometer to tell when fermentation is completely dry. Should get below 1.000, possibly as low as 0.990. When you hit that, you can add kmeta (potassium metabisulphite).

Sorbate is used if you are back-sweetening.

If you are making a white, it would be good to rack, stir to degass, then keep in a carboy until clear. It will benefit from 3-6 months aging. Add kmeta @ 1/4 tsp every three months. Then rack again prior to bottling.

If you are making a red, also rack, stir to degass, then keep in a carboy until clear. It will benefit from 1 year aging. Add kmeta @ 1/4 tsp every three months. Then rack again prior to bottling.

You can age in the carboy (bulk aging) or in the bottles. Starting out, it's really tough to not drink the stuff. That's one of numerous reasons many folks like to leave in the carboy for bulk-aging.

It's better to ask the questions! We have all been where you are. :)

Heather

Latest posts

Back