More noob questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brottman

Reaction score
I've got a CA shiraz juice bucket that is in secondary just finishing up its last little bit of fermentation. I was rereading the MoreWine! guide to red wine making to figure out what the next few steps will be. I know I will need to add Kmeta and wait for it to clear, but I thought that you also had to "degas" it as well. I was surprised to see that no where in the entire guide does it mention degassing the wine.

I know many wine makers let their wine degas on its own over time and with rackings. Is this what I should do? Does the clearing take longer if you don't manually degas?

I also have a Moscato going as well that's just a little ways behind the Shiraz that I have the same questions for.

I know most questions here get asked for more details so I'll try to head that off now: They were both 6 gallon CA juice buckets with a OG of 1.09.

Shiraz:
Yeast: RC212
OG 1.09
FG 0.998

Moscato:
Yeast: QA23
OG 1.09
SG 1.02 or there about a few days ago and still going.

I know many wine makers let their wine degas on its own over time and with rackings. Is this what I should do?
yes. However, before you bottle, you need to confirm that it is fully degassed.

Does the clearing take longer if you don't manually degas?

In wine time scale - no.

I also have a Moscato going as well that's just a little ways behind the Shiraz that I have the same questions for.

Depends. some moscato is fizzy. So, leaving the fizz in is ok.

Latest posts

Back