persimmon help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnsfarms

Reaction score
started 6 gallon batch of ripe persimmons, did not use skins or seeds just fruit crushed, followed jack k recipe . Started sg at 1.110 and 6 days later it's at 1.090 and still very active. At this point if using while fruit I'd move to secondary , to avoid extra tannin, but since there's no skin or seeds where should I look for a specific sg to move to secondary?
Recipe called for 1/2 tsp tannin should I increase for taste?

Ideally, you should keep the alcoholic fermentation in the primary bucket that has some access to oxygen, as it helps the yeast develop. You should move your wine to secondary with an airlock on when the wine is off-dry or dry with slow residual fermentation (I would say SG 1.004 or less). At the current stage you don't want to do it because, if the fermentation is still very active, the carboy or demijohn will most likely be overflown with foam, ending up with wine in your airlock or all over the floor. Besides, it will deposit a very heavy sediment on the bottom that you will have to rack and clean anyway, which is less convenient than keeping it in the primary and racking off the gross lees when it is nearly done. I wouldn't rush it, if I were you.

I am not sure, but to me the decrease in SG from 1.110 to 1.090 in 6 days seems somewhat sluggish. What is your room temperature? Did you also add any yeast nutrient/energizer?

As for the tannin, let your taste be the guide. Following recipes does not always deliver expected results.

Not looking to rush,by all means, the room is no cooler than 70 and steady at that.did add nutrient energizer at the beginning, just seemed slow to me also as to why to ask about leaving awhile longer , I thank you for the sg recommendation,

Well, I guess, if the fermentation is progressing, however slowly, just keep stirring and/or punching the cap into the liquid, and heat it up to about 75*F to speed things up a bit. Also, you may try adding yeast nutrient, like DAP, Fermaid-K or -O. Yeast energizer only does half the job.

On different note, should I receive email notifications when a reply is received, still new to the forum, I do have settings for notification and subscribed to posts.

By default you will receive the e-mail notifications for threads which you initiated or replied to, some time after midnight (as a daily summary). You can also unsubscribe from specific thread notifications by following a link also contained in the e-mail.

Just checking in on your wine's progress. I added yeast today to my first batch of persimmon. I guess you could say I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm in for. I used the Kraus recipe.

So if you post a little more info its always easier for people to figure out what is going on. Like what kind of yeast, how much fruit, did you add pectinase and other things? Are these grocery store persimmons or wild ones? WVMJ

started 6 gallon batch of ripe persimmons, did not use skins or seeds just fruit crushed, followed jack k recipe . Started sg at 1.110 and 6 days later it's at 1.090 and still very active. At this point if using while fruit I'd move to secondary , to avoid extra tannin, but since there's no skin or seeds where should I look for a specific sg to move to secondary?
Recipe called for 1/2 tsp tannin should I increase for taste?

So far I know now why most don't try this, first separating the mush from seeds and skins, like peanut butter with kyro added ,what a nightmare, then from primary to secondary 2 hours sifting pulp ,,,note to self use a bag next time,,,,, now it's slowly settling and coming to the end of termination.
Looks like I am going to loose 1/2 gallon in lees on second racking, instead of topping off I may choose to use glass marbles to fill the void, I used fresh fruit, frozen till we got enough ,believe that's the reason for the mush, on the beginning, shame to this tree I probably has tons of fruit,but it's not going to worth another batch at this point, unless of coarse it's great wine,,good luck

I am not familiar with persimmons. If the flesh has turned into a soft mush, why not press it out and just use the juice?? Would get rid of a lot of the loose lees when you rack the first time. Arne.

My persimmon

I'm on my third one gallon batch of persimmon. I am learning as I go that's why I did one gallon rather than attempt 5. I used Jack Keller's recipe all three times. What I have learned: First batch: skinned the persimmon (there are three types of persimmons) and just put in the bottom of the bucket. Lost a third in lees. About 1/2" head in carboy. Second batch: put in knee high and squeezed the day lights out of it to remove as much liquid as I could on first day. After that as I stirred it a couple times a day while fermenting I would just mash the knee high against the side of the bucket but didn't press too much on the knee high. Not much lees at all. No head in carboy. Third batch: Decided to squeeze the knee highs every day while fermenting. Big mistake just as much lees as the first time. 1/4 inch head in carboy. Fourth batch... I'll be leaving the knee high alone. I've bottled the first batch. Unique taste. I liked it. Second and third are still in carboys.

Back