Dried wine skins versus raisins versus gelatinous skin pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
I'd like to here from folks on their preference regarding these value added kit additions.

IMO, the dried skins and raisins are so much easier to use, yet the goopy super packs tend to bump up the SG a bit thereby adding a little different bump to the kit.

I wasn't sure about the RJS dried skins but after having some wonderful results (Trek, Hang 10) I wouldn't hesitate to buy a kit with them. I do rehydrate them with boiling water first.

I like the way the RJS Winery series gooey skins act during fermentation. easy to work with and never plug up my racking cane (i use the muslin bag)

For me the jury is still out for WE Eclipse/LE kits. I just racked my Nebbiola to the secondary and the cane kept getting plugged even though the skins were in the bag. I finally had to pour through a strainer. Not sure why it was that thick as the only other thing added was a small 1 oz bag of oak chips. I had the same issue with an Cab Eclipse kit.

cheers

Last edited:
I haven't bothered to rehydrate the dried skins, and have gotten very nice results several times now. They must release their solids as they soak in the must.

Many of the RJS Winery series kits have those jars of wet skins that are a bit harder to get into the bag, and you really should open the fermenter and squeeze them a few times during the first few days.

When I get raisins I use a food processor to break them up. Some people boil them.

I haven't bothered to rehydrate the dried skins, and have gotten very nice results several times now. They must release their solids as they soak in the must.

Many of the RJS Winery series kits have those jars of wet skins that are a bit harder to get into the bag, and you really should open the fermenter and squeeze them a few times during the first few days.

When I get raisins I use a food processor to break them up. Some people boil them.

I'm about to try raisins and as per Joeswine, i will just toss them in whole

cheers

For me the jury is still out for WE Eclipse/LE kits. I just racked my Nebbiola to the secondary and the cane kept getting plugged even though the skins were in the bag. I finally had to pour through a strainer. Not sure why it was that thick as the only other thing added was a small 1 oz bag of oak chips. I had the same issue with an Cab Eclipse kit.

cheers

:u

The problem is not the skins but how the bentonite reacts with the small bag of oak chips in these kits. It somehow collects on the chips and form what looks like skins flakes. Some sink to the bottom and other just float on top. When you go to rack, they get sucked up and plug the tube. It was the same when I tried using a filter screen. I have done many kits with the oak chips added to the primary and never had this happen. It has only been with the Eclipse and new LE kits. The guy at my LHBS has had the same issue. The reason I'm possitive its the chips is because a friend started his on the same day but put the chips in the muslin bag. He had no issues at all. I will definately change the way i do these kits in the future.

cheers

Latest posts

Back