Adjusting the must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
OK, 3.8g per gallon of tartaric acid will adjust TA by .1%, or 1g/L. When figuring how many gallons you have, are you using the total amount of the must, or estimating your liquid content only? I have nearly 12 gallons of must, but will have much less liquid. Obviously, there is a huge potential impact on the amount of acid I'd add, depending on how I'm measuring the "gallons".

I've been told to only add half of the calculated amount and then retest before adding more, and I think that's good advice - maybe for the reason I'm asking this question. Thanks all!

Jim

use 15 gallons of grape equals 1 gallon of finished wine. make all additions based on finished wine. advice on adding half and retesting is very good advice.

Thanks Sal. 15 gallons of grape for a gallon of wine? I have 12 gallons of must, including skins, seeds, etc. I was hoping to get 6-8 gallons of finished wine out of it.

Ive read take the amount of must you have and multiply it by .8 to get the amount of fnished wine. You'll want to make additions to the amount of fnished wine, not the total must volume. I read this in daniel pambianchi's book. Also, adding half now and addressing the rest after fermentation is also good, says sheridan warrick's book. Check both of these books out, they're great ones!

Latest posts

Back