Redhots

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is still clearing along with my regular apple. I was planning on bulk aging it along anyway but I think it is due for a racking and perhaps some clearing agent in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted!

I racked and back sweetened last night. I'm trying to decide how I want to bottle it. It has a great red color. It tastes like......red hots! It is wonderful if you like that warm cinnamon flavor. Good times! I will make this one again.

My wife wanted this that is how I created it. My second batch is now aging and it is tasting good. I did as you did cohen i added more redhots and the second batch has a little more sting in the back. I love the color and aroma of this wine. Wino, you will enjoy it for sure. I am thinking of adding mulling spice and serving some warm for my annual fall corn roast at my hunting camp.

What kind of yeast did you all use? All I saw was Red Star and not which one.

Got it going over the weekend. So far, so good. I too put the redhots in a straining bag and they were dissolved in only a few hours. This has an awesome smell too it.
Did you guys use Sparkloid, etc. when racking to clear or just let it sit and clear on its own?

I used Bentonite from the start. Cleared nicely in about a month while in the secondary. This wine tastes great. I opened a bottle and took it down to my neighbor's front porch on Friday evening, was a big hit.

Last edited:
Racked at 1.020 Been sitting for two weeks so far. I may rack it off the lees this weekend and then let it sit for a month or two. Depending how I feel, may add Sparkloid to add clearing. Was thinking about adding a few more red hots to each carboy (will be racking to two one gallon carboys) to bump up the "hotness". Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the help so far.

Second batch is in the bottle and now in my wine racks. Tastes great. I just picked up 6 gallon of Apple juice for another batch.

What are you backsweetening with, sugar or apple concentrate or?

I make a simple syrup of 1 cup water and 2 cups sugar boil until the sugar is inverted then cool before you backsweeten. I then add until I have a SG of 1.005 which is a semi sweet wine, my wife likes wine on the sweet side. I prefer fruit wine to be around 1.002, but anywhere from 1.002 up to 1.005 works for me unless I want a dry wine at .990, if my wife wants a dessert wine I will bump up to 1.01

OK, thanks. I have never done the simple syrup/boil thing. I usually just put straight sugar in and stir it up. But then again I am only messing with 1 gal. carboys. I usually make 2 gal. batches and tweak one of the carboys to try something different.

This is extremely intriguing, although I don't like the idea of using the red hot candies (binders, chemicals, etc). Does anyone have an opinion on making an apple cinnamon wine and adding capsaicin for the heat? Do you think that would taste like a red hot? It's been decades since I've had one, so I'm having a hard time imagining what it tastes like. The apple base I find interesting...any reason this was chosen?

Thanks!

For me, I like the apple/cinnamon flavor in general so it was appealing to me. Mine is still aging so I can't give a "yea" or "nay" on it yet. I did add some more redhots to the carboys, that it is aging in, to give it a little more bite. I am hoping the apple flavor comes out. I will give it a month or two, then backsweeten and bottle. When racking it over this last time, it didn't have alot of taste to it but I am hoping it is just young and needs some sugar to pull them out.

wineon4 and cohenhouse77 can give much more insight to this recipe, etc.

My wife loves Redhot candies and ask how to make a wine from them. Cinnamon goes well with apple so I tried it and it came out great. Batch 3 is in the primary now. wineforfun the backsweeetning brings it all together. I tasted mine when it was dry and oh yeah YUCK. We love this wine, drinking a glass now

This is extremely intriguing, although I don't like the idea of using the red hot candies (binders, chemicals, etc). Does anyone have an opinion on making an apple cinnamon wine and adding capsaicin for the heat? Do you think that would taste like a red hot?

Thanks!

Capsaicin, that is pepper derived is it not? What about simply using a good cinnamon oil? Do you recall the hot cinnamon toothpicks? I bought cinnamon oil from Olive Nation, since people use it to make those toothpicks, added it in secondary to a 6% cider to establish a cinnamon base and then actually added different number of drops as I bottled the cider which was sweetened back up with AJC. Taste trials still in progress, but they've all been great. I used McCormick's cinnamon extract in another batch and it was not the taste I wanted, though the cinnamon oil brought the cinnamon flavor and heat of a good cinnamon candy.

I like the use of the cinnamon oil above and beyond my batch made from Atomic Fireballs...they have both been great batches but I'd much rather eat the jawbreakers.

My wife loves Redhot candies and ask how to make a wine from them. Cinnamon goes well with apple so I tried it and it came out great. Batch 3 is in the primary now. wineforfun the backsweeetning brings it all together. I tasted mine when it was dry and oh yeah YUCK. We love this wine, drinking a glass now

Awesome, I was hoping the backsweetening would help as I was afraid it would be very lacking on the apple part of the flavor.

I did add more redhots when racking over this last time. Just put them in the 1 gal. carboys and they had dissolved within 4-5 hours.

Latest posts

Back