Homemade Sausage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info guys. I'm waiting to hear back from my guy and we're jumping in. Thanks for the recipes, ill try them out.

When we made snausage (a long time ago) we used the shed where we stored the lawnmower and tools (fairly good sized one). We had to move out all the flammables obviously and place the grill in the center with nothing around it. The shed was metal so it wouldn't burn but you had to make sure the fire was not so hot it (the heat) would melt the top. It also had a high ceiling.

Hung up the rings on strands of wire going from one side to the other (literally hundreds of them) and then built a small fire in the webber grill using mesquite (it was Texas after all). Put the lid on and closed it up as well as the door but checked on it regularly. Kept it going for a day or so IIRC.

Man did that shed smell great for months afterwards! :hug

Great idea! You must have been out in the sticks aways. If i had a shed with smoke coming out of it here I would have 5 fire trucks and 2 TV news wagons in my yard before I could get the door closed. :)

Great idea! You must have been out in the sticks aways. If i had a shed with smoke coming out of it here I would have 5 fire trucks and 2 TV news wagons in my yard before I could get the door closed. :)

Do yourself a favor and call the fire Marshall in your town first. That stops the eager firemen like me from screaming in and smashing the door down!

Some of the best cooks I have ever met are fire fighters. It's like a chef competition around the station.:r

Do yourself a favor and call the fire Marshall in your town first. That stops the eager firemen like me from screaming in and smashing the door down!

but if they still do it it's because they know you are making sausage

Haha yeah we have some talented chefs that work at the firehouse! And we do tend to be overeaters and a "thristy" bunch too! Guilty as charged, just not on duty.

Picked up a small electric grinder with stuffer attachment yesterday along with a pork butt. I'll be firing it up ASAP and I'll let everybody know how it works. I'm going to use toddrod's italian sausage recipe. Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

So I picked up a cheap grinder and gave it a shot yesterday. I ended up making about 8 or 9 lbs before the stupid plastic gears stripped in my grinder. I'm left with another 10 lbs of pork butt now and no grinder! I'm most likely going to buy a professional one with metal gears to have a reliable machine. $500 later... I ended up putting a bit too much fennel seed in but the sausage is still some of the best I've had. Thanks again to toddrod for the recipe!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Joe are you saying you spent $500 on the grinder and it turned out to be crap. I keep kicking myself. I had one that was my parents that I could barely pick up. It ran off 220v. It was certainly a heavy duty commercial grinder. At the time I had no use for it and wanted to get rid of it and took it to a second hand restaurant equipment place. I think I got less than $200 for it. I'm sure they sold it for over $500.00.

Anyways thanks for sharing the pictures. Makes me want to reach out and grab some to fry up.

Joe are you saying you spent $500 on the grinder and it turned out to be crap. I keep kicking myself. I had one that was my parents that I could barely pick up. It ran off 220v. It was certainly a heavy duty commercial grinder. At the time I had no use for it and wanted to get rid of it and took it to a second hand restaurant equipment place. I think I got less than $200 for it. I'm sure they sold it for over $500.00.

Anyways thanks for sharing the pictures. Makes me want to reach out and grab some to fry up.

Haha yeah It was delicious. I spent $80 on the cheap grinder. I'm going to spend $500 on a good quality one to get away from plastic gears. I checked around and found a high quality manufacturer and my friend gets wholesale! Your old one sounds like it would have been a home run though!

Let me know when you are serving it up in the Middlebury FH and Ill stop in!!!!! LOL

Here's the one I bought. It is very heavy and the build quality is excellent. It's easy to assemble, easy to take apart and clean, and it's fast. I've had it for a couple months. I've made 16 pounds of pork breakfast sausage and I've put about 20 pounds of beef through it, so it hasn't seen much duty yet, but I would not hesitate to recommend it.

American Eagle AE-G12N Stainless #12 Meat Grinder 1 HP W/ Attachments 250lb/Hour

I bet it's delicious! May be rather hard to cook, but it's still better than those soy sausages we buy in the supermarkets.

Is there anyway to know if a grinder has plastic or metal gears without opening it up? That attribute doesn't seem to be listed normally in the fine print.

I would guess price would be your guide. Or you could contact the company.

I called the company. Only the commercial/industrial grade machines have them. I would rather pay the extra money and get a quality model that I won't have to worry about in a few years. I tend to be hard on everything anyways.

Back