Noob Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamdave

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and to wine making. I'd like to get into this in the very near future but I'm having trouble knowing where to start. I've looked at a lot of the different resources but it all seems to be step-by-step instructions, which are fine but I'd like to know more about the physical and chemical processes. I want to know the why in addition to the how.

Also, I'm going to start out as a hobbyist but I would really like to eventually move into doing this professionally. Does this raise any additional considerations? Should I start out by buying a kit or should I buy the tools and equipment individually? If a kit is the way to go, which kits are the best? I want to learn all I can about the process and I want to be sure I'm doing things the right way and not just the easy way. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

1st welcome to a great hobby. Yea right!. For me well as you will soon find out I am PAST Obsession.

Now to get started I would strongly suggest you call (he likes you to call) George @ http://www.finevinewines.com/
Explain what you want to do and he will only sell you what you need and then come back here for any questions you may have.
What kind of wines do you like? That is what you should make..

Welcome aboard - i agree with Tom - get with George - he will hook you up. I would suggest swapping out the hand corker with a floor corker.

I also have an interest in the processes and am fascinated by the biochemistry involving fermentation. I would start by getting my feet wet with something easy like a juice or kit. Before you know it, you will be fermenting whatever you can get your hands on.

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and to wine making. I'd like to get into this in the very near future but I'm having trouble knowing where to start. I've looked at a lot of the different resources but it all seems to be step-by-step instructions, which are fine but I'd like to know more about the physical and chemical processes. I want to know the why in addition to the how.

Also, I'm going to start out as a hobbyist but I would really like to eventually move into doing this professionally. Does this raise any additional considerations? Should I start out by buying a kit or should I buy the tools and equipment individually? If a kit is the way to go, which kits are the best? I want to learn all I can about the process and I want to be sure I'm doing things the right way and not just the easy way. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I recommend starting off with something basic to get your feet wet. Use a kit or a simple recipe. You might want to check out The Complete Guide to Making Your Own Wine at Home by John Peragine

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start with the Delux wine equipment kit as that will take you very far until you want to start getting in very deep. You could also get the equipment kit witha wine kit also at Finevinewines and save even more money.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! This is very helpful information. I shall call George today. It seems like this a great community and I'm looking forward to being a part of it. Thanks again!

Don't forget to tell George this forum sent you there. :dg

Also if you really want to get some hands on guidance check with some of your local wineries, they are always looking for volunteers. Then you get a real good hands on experience and see if you really like it. plus if you make a good connection with them you have a good source for bottles, & grapes!:dg

I talked to him this morning and I've ordered a deluxe kit and the ingredients necessary to make a pinot noir. I'm really looking forward to giving this a try. Thanks everyone! And I did mention to him that I was referred by this forum. :)

Good luck with the kit and the wine making. Glad you are here.

Just watch out when you open the box from George. Make sure you aren't outside with a breeze blowing when you open it............. You will find out what I am talking about - but they are well packed.....

Also if you really want to get some hands on guidance check with some of your local wineries, they are always looking for volunteers. Then you get a real good hands on experience and see if you really like it. plus if you make a good connection with them you have a good source for bottles, & grapes!:dg

You know, I'd been thinking about doing that but wasn't sure what the chances were anyone would actually let me do it. Now that you've said this I will definitely pursue this. Thanks!

Back