New Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper24

Reaction score
4 gallons unsweetened pineapple juice.
64 ounces Activz coconut water power make two gallon
1 gallon water
14 pounds sugar
3 ½ teaspoons acid blend
2 teaspoons tannins
6 campden tablets
3 teaspoons pectic enzymes
3 teaspoons yeast nutrients
3 teaspoons yeast energizer
1 package port yeast

This recipe is new to me and gotten partly from other recipes. Could someone please check this recipe for any errors. This is my first recipe and I am going to make a port wine of 20% using this wine recipe and white rum. I am using a two to one ratio of pineapple to coconut since I am using coconut water and not coconut cream. The Pina Colada ratio is 3 to 1 pineapple juice to coconut cream. If the recipe looks ok to everyone I will start this later this week.

Thanks for your help, Hallie:a1

Last edited:
Ok so today I made this recipe with three tweaks. I used two cans of Vinters Harvest pineapple puree and 4 gallons water in place of the 4 gallons of unsweetened pineapple juice. I also added 10 teaspoons of coconut extract to give my coconut water an added flavor boost. Lastly I added 17.5 pound of sugar instead of 14.

Initial SG 1.010 prior to sugar. After adding sugar SG of 1.114. Was shooting for SG of 1.120 close enough. All flavor came out really nice good coconut and pineapple flavor.

Tomorrow I will pitch the port yeast and add any additional information.

Bernard, thanks for replying. I will use white rum to give it a true pina colada taste.

I think between the coconut water and extract I got around the oil problems I have read in other threads. If the coconut flavor fades I will use just a bit more extract to bring it back.

Once I get Into secondary I will know more I hope. I want this port wine to really have that flavor.

I pitched the yeast today. RC 212 sg stable at 1.114 temp 72 degrees. I rehydrated the yeast per package directions. The must still has a good flavor. Stirred the must to bring back the gross lees suspension.

Following. This looks tasty. Did you use a natural coconut extract ? What brand ? Not sure I can get that around here.

Bridgette, thank you for replying. I went on Amazon and found olivenation pure coconut extract. Unfortunately I bought the 8 once bottle instead of the 4 once bottle being the newby that I am. Now I have about 6 ounce that I don't know what to do with lol.

You are right this is tasty and if you like sunny drinks this is good. Even without the rum I plan on adding I think I would still very much like this wine. I will keep you posted in the days and weeks ahead. Take care

Day 3 sg 1.110 temp 72 and we have bubbles in the airlock. Stirred must some Lee's with the fruit puree not bad. Coconut flavor still holding which I am glad about was afraid it might fade. Really looking forward to tasting this once the sugars have been comsumed.

jpsmithny I have my fingers really crossed and high hopes for this batch and can't wait to see where it goes. Take care

Day 4 sg 1.100 temp 77 degrees. Fermentation going well stirred the must flavor still holding. Thick layer of foam on top.

Day 5 sg 1.080 temp 75 degrees stirred the must fermentation sluggish coconut flavor fading pineapple really coming forward hopefully coconut will come back some othwise I will fix post fermentation. If yeast still sluggish tomorrow I will add nutrient and energizer to pick back up.

Hi PandemoniumWines, I guess it's more of a visual,thing to me, hardly getting any bubbles and the matte of yeast is inactive today whereas yesterday there was a lot of movement. Sorry if I can't describe it better but I am very new to wine making. Have a great day and take care.

Thanks for all the updates on your batch. I agree with pandemoniumwines.. seems like it is coooking along. But I do like to see the bubbles like you. I have had some that don’t look like they are fermenting at all but they are

Hi PandemoniumWines, I guess it's more of a visual,thing to me, hardly getting any bubbles and the matte of yeast is inactive today whereas yesterday there was a lot of movement. Sorry if I can't describe it better but I am very new to wine making. Have a great day and take care.

Let your hydrometer be the guide. As long as it is moving along as it is, all is well. The closer you get to dry, the slower it will move.

Day 6 temp 76 sg 1.065 following advice the sg is still moving downwards. Yeast matte on top only about half filled the primary. Waiting until sg reaches 1.020 to move into secondary. Brigitte and Wineforfun I will take your advice and see how this plays out thanks for the advice. Take care all

Day 7 sg 1.060 temp 77 degrees. No foam on top of the must. About half way thru the sugar. Flavors are bleading well coconut has taken a back seat to the pineapple. Hopefully all is well.

Sounds like you are still moving along ! Just a slow ferment from what I have had experience with. But mine always seem to go way too fast.

Latest posts

Back