Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Beginners Wine Making Forum > Two quick noob questions, your wisdom would be appreciated

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #11
BernardSmith

Dec 2011
Liked 810 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 435

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
Vinoish

Oct 2017

Thank you!

Still a bit concerned. According to winemakersacademy.com, yeast only produces alcohol while consuming sugar, and this only happens when it's run out of oxygen. Thus, according to that site, you need to starve the yeast of oxygen, or it won't produce alcohol.

You know this stuff better than me, but after I removed and cleaned out the airlock for a minute before putting it back, obviously CO2 escaped and it was exposed to oxygen for a short time. I wouldn't worry about it if it weren't for the fact that there were no bubbles at all the next day.

But that short exposure couldn't possibly stop the fermentation process?

Bear with me, new at this. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
Ajmassa5983

Oct 2016
Liked 580 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 352

There's gotta some sort of misinterpretation going on. For years I fermented my wine in buckets without even a lid on top. Oxygen is helpful during fermentation. And you want the co2 escaping. Too much resting on top can be bad.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #14
Vinoish

Oct 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmassa5983 View Post
There's gotta some sort of misinterpretation going on. For years I fermented my wine in buckets without even a lid on top. Oxygen is helpful during fermentation. And you want the co2 escaping. Too much resting on top can be bad.
Sounded a bit strange to me, too. I mean, wine was around before airlocks.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Old 10-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #15
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 3386 Times on 2142 Posts
Likes Given: 3697

It is true that when yeast consume O2, they do not produce alcohol. Fortunately for us, they quickly use up all the O2 dissolved in the must at the start of the party, then they switch over to eating the sugar anaerobically. When you expose it to air, some O2 may get into your must, but not enough to supply the yeast enough O2 for them to oxidize the sugars completely aerobically.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #16
Scooter68
Still getting started at 20 batches & 2 years

Aug 2015
Liked 470 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 497

The wine in a bucket or carboy undergoing fermentation is covered with a blanket of CO2 that reduces exposure to oxygen.

BUT... That site you mentioned has had several other things that I take issue with - things that are counter to other sites.

Nonetheless, As others have and will mention, most folks do some stirring of their wine must which does expose it to oxygen to some degree and we never have any problem with fermentations stopping because of that. If you are still having issues keep us posted.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old 10-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #17
Vinoish

Oct 2017

Ah, I think I get it now. So basically, once fermentation is underway, the yeast will start producing alcohol anaerobically. So a quick exposure to some O2 a week into fermentation wouldn't affect the process, since the yeast is now making alcohol anaerobically.

Again, thank you all for your replies.

Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM   #18
Vinoish

Oct 2017

Trying it out as we speak. I'm assuming, since I used a LOT of sugar and the dryness is about medium, that the fermentation was indeed finished... Makes sense, wouldn't you say?

Tastewise, it's pretty damn good already.

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM   #19
Scooter68
Still getting started at 20 batches & 2 years

Aug 2015
Liked 470 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Dryness to the individual may vary. The question is what is the SG reading. Between .995 and 1.000 is considered less dry than .990 to .994.

But your last statement is what matters. I only have issues with those who are clearly out to make hooch - an alcoholic beverage with the Alcohol content valued over the Flavor. (They want to drink it 7 days after they start fermentation)

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old Today, 06:20 AM   #20
Vinoish

Oct 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter68 View Post
Dryness to the individual may vary. The question is what is the SG reading. Between .995 and 1.000 is considered less dry than .990 to .994.

But your last statement is what matters. I only have issues with those who are clearly out to make hooch - an alcoholic beverage with the Alcohol content valued over the Flavor. (They want to drink it 7 days after they start fermentation)
I hear you.

Then again, this isn't a top of the line batch I've made, but it's not like it's pruno.

It's of the amateurish variety, but it turned out surprisingly good. Plus it was fun to make!

Reason: sp