Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Bottles, Labels & Corks > Do you worry about bottle shape?

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #31
GreenEnvy22

Sep 2015
Liked 122 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillswoj View Post
My bottle supplier in Niagara is getting Chinese produced bottles, they are very light relative to Canadian produced bottles, but I am only paying 7.95 $C per dozen
Sounds like the pricing I get at Watsons, same for you?

Old 09-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #32
Ajmassa5983

Oct 2016
Liked 580 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 352

I think the more I care about the batch, the more I care about the bottles. Now that I've scaled up to 100+ bottle batches I see myself going out of my way for legit bottles for the seasonal batches.
But for kits I still will use whatever I have around. I just did a Rosè and basically if it was clear- it was good enough. But that in itself gave each bottle its own little personality. (And it was also kinda fun remembering where they came from. 'The Mother's Day rose we hated' or 'that was the Sauv Blanc bottle for topping'. I don't know. Thought it was cool.). Ain't no stacking these though. IMG_6343.jpgCheck it out.

People Like This 
Old 09-26-2017, 02:58 AM   #33
balatonwine
The Verecund Vigneron

May 2017
Liked 200 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Bottle shape is historical. From regional traditions in Europe. Shape does not really matter except in sales and marketing to a popular international market, and to indicate to those "in the know" what type of wine to expect in the bottle.

I like the traditional and historical nature. So it can be fun. But I don't over do it however. But if one does choose to be rigid about bottle shape, then at least be consistent. So if one insists that is just wrong to put a Gewürztraminer into anything but a Rhine bottle, then I might counter that is then also just wrong to drink that same wine in anything but a traditional German wine glass :

But other than that, saying there is just one correct bottle shape for a wine, to me, is rather boring in a pretentious sort of way. I like to think outside the box as well. So I also like the twisted, quirky bottle from Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Because life is too short to be normal all the time .

GaDawg Likes This 
Old 09-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #34
NorCal
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Apr 2014
Liked 1398 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
I try to match because it tastes better when it's in the correct bottle.
I say this only partially in jest. Drinking wine has a to do with perception; the look & feel, atmosphere and romance. If it is just me, heck I'll drink it out of a carboy. If I'm sharing with someone that could care less, I also don't care.

If I'm giving a bottle to someone that really knows their wine, I want the bottle to be correct, the label to look professional, put on straight, a matching capsule and the bottle nice and clean. I want them to compare my wines to nice wines that they can buy commercially and don't want it pre-judged because of a detail like the bottle shape.

If I received a Cabernet in a used Burgandy bottle, with left over glue, a funny label with water marks on it, I'm going to pre-judge the wine. Doesn't change the wine that's in there, but for me if the outside is done right, it shows attention to detail that I assume I will also find in the bottle.

People Like This 
Old 09-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #35
pillswoj

Jan 2017
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy22 View Post
Sounds like the pricing I get at Watsons, same for you?
That would be the place lol

Old 09-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #36
mainshipfred

Feb 2017
Liked 237 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatboy24 View Post
Some are definitely 'better' than others. I've been very happy with bottles ordered from MoreWine and from Shore Container. You need to play with quantity to find the 'sweet spot' for shipping.

Shore is here in VA, but IIRC, down on the northern neck - 2-3 hrs each way.
A while back I talked to them. If I remember correctly a pallet picked up was fairly reasonable. That's definately too many bottles for me.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #37
balatonwine
The Verecund Vigneron

May 2017
Liked 200 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Drinking wine has a to do with perception; the look & feel, atmosphere and romance.
Amen

Old 10-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #38
CabSauv
Exp Drinker/Junior Vintner

Mar 2017
Liked 79 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I only drink what I like to call proper red wines (dry) and they all come in a Bordeaux style bottle so that's what I'll be using to bottle my own.

sour_grapes Likes This 
Old 10-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #39
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015
Liked 887 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Count me among the traditionalists. Presentation is huuuuge.

A bottle of wine begs to be shared...

sour_grapes Likes This 
Old 10-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #40
Smok1

May 2017
Liked 179 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I dont worry about bottle shape right now although im sure ill get there, im more worried about bottles period. Like having enough.
C: B

sour_grapes Likes This