stuck corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that it is terribly helpful in hindsight, but going forward, I haven't encountered anyone serious that advocates spraying or soaking your corks. Inserting them dry helps them seal correctly - by inserting them wet, you are interfering with the proper seal.

Its good to know that ckassotis doesn't soak cork! :) Sorry, couldn't resist! Watched too much SNL growing up!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuj1aKxET8Y[/ame]

i use an electric and have never had a problem, i use number 8 and 9 corks and heat shrink in boiling water

I had the same problem, Duster, until I changed to synthetic corks. They go in easy and are fairly easy to remove with the electric corkscrew, yet hold the liquid tightly in the bottle.

synthetic dobn't allow the wine to age.

just use levered cork screw.
Electric? When the apocalypse comes you are going to be...well..screwed... no electricity.

Or even just the power outs.

I'm agaisnt outside dependence.

My double levered cork screw is so powerful i can't imagine having any problem opening anything.

As for corking I have been having terribly inconsistent results.
I use #9 used on screw tops and plain tops.

Some conclusions -

Screw tops are OK for one or 2-3 time use despite the anxiety - the people spoke (form much reading) and they spoke for usage up to a point - However I will use up my unused remaining cleaned up bottles from the recycle depot one time then switch to full tops just to be sure from now on. I had one very long neck screw top - the neck cracked - but i don't know when it did that or how or why - i maybe bumped it when I was handling it - storing - giving to friend - don't know when it happened - but a very long neck and screw top seems weaker - the rest look and act very strong - they are already corked and good to go probably with handling and de-c0rking caution (use two handled de-corker)

Inconsistent results corking - lately I think I am having problems didn't seem to have before because the rubber grip wore on the gripper. and was slipping at critical moment not giving me full penetration I will restore -reinforce that with rubber from a bike tire and see then, Definitely making sure the neck is dry at corking time is a must.

When i say inconsistent, I mean inconsistent - some going in too far some not far enough - same ullage same bottle - it's a fine hand art.

Conclusion - ullage is not really a factor for what i do in this problem I measure my ullage with a chopstick marked - I always have the same ullage and tested different levels
Is inconsistent because of cork resistance and hand skill involved.
I do a 30 set and i got a big range of results - a lot of skill is needed to get consistent results. And yeah I do the full on the floor between the feet method.

I think corks go in easier in screw tops so have to allow if screw top or full top.

Wetting cork helps as makes a smoother cork - can gauge hand strength much easier.

As far as wetting (just slightly on outside - not soaking pre-packaged pre-sterilized corks) with water or Kmeta not being good - these wines , at least mine are supposed to have shelf life of 12-14 months this is not 5 -15 years storage for me, I think this concern is over-amped and I haven't seen any reportage of a problem form this for one year kit wines or home fruit wines..

I have broken many corkscrews with dbl handles, bent the heck out of waiters/rabbit openers and had a restaurant require 2 people to open a bottle.
I even broke the neck off of a bottle and cut the crud out of my hand. (Had my Wheaties that day)
I have found it seems to be from 2 things.
Too much sulfite on the cork (per George) when it goes in and some agglomerated corks from my fav supplier. Some of these seem to use very small pieces so there is much more glue making them extremely hard.
When stuck you can pierce the space between the cork and neck all the way around -big pain.
Or change corks, don't wet them and use an electric opener. No more troubles now.

I have broken many corkscrews with dbl handles, bent the heck out of waiters/rabbit openers and had a restaurant require 2 people to open a bottle.
I even broke the neck off of a bottle and cut the crud out of my hand. (Had my Wheaties that day)
I have found it seems to be from 2 things.
Too much sulfite on the cork (per George) when it goes in and some agglomerated corks from my fav supplier. Some of these seem to use very small pieces so there is much more glue making them extremely hard.
When stuck you can pierce the space between the cork and neck all the way around -big pain.
Or change corks, don't wet them and use an electric opener. No more troubles now.

"I have broken many corkscrews with dbl handles"

I don't see how that is possible - I'd need a vice grip to break my double handle corkscrew - the worst possible scenario would be that the sharp metal point cannot penetrate the cork materiel - in that case I woudl use on eof the many other tools I have to penetrate the cork in the center. . I am a handyman with many tools - cork is not metal - if I ever meet this "obstinate " cork which I haven't, I'm sure I will triumph.
I won't be changing the cork system - it's traditional and you need the corks to age the wine.

Generally the screw portion attaches to the upper portion by either crimping or with a pin. This is where they broke when trying to pull the cork out.
Even when they didn't break, at times it took one person to hold the bottle and the other to manipulate the double handles.
My solution was to go to natural corks. Don't believe in screw tops. May be old fashioned but...oh well. That's worked for more than a few years/generations.

Generally the screw portion attaches to the upper portion by either crimping or with a pin. This is where they broke when trying to pull the cork out.
Even when they didn't break, at times it took one person to hold the bottle and the other to manipulate the double handles.
My solution was to go to natural corks. Don't believe in screw tops. May be old fashioned but...oh well. That's worked for more than a few years/generations.

It's not the screw tops I believe in , it's whats in them.

In Vino Veritas :dg :)

Corked thousands of bottles now; using various corks. All put in with a lever corker (i.e. twin handles you pull down).
I've used heaps of 'corkscrews'. Never, ever had I not had one come out.
NZ don't have a Walmart tho ;)

Try this one. RJS gave white synthetic corks a couple years ago with the RQ kits. Nice idea but a b++ch to open. Even with this one, they squeak all the way out. I paid $10 dollars for mine at my LHBS.

cheers

1. Continuous turning corkscrew. A continuous-turn corkscrew can be identified by its large turning handle on top and the head that fits neatly on top of the wine bottle. Place the head on the bottle, twist the worm into the cork and then continue to twist the handle; the corkscrew will do the work for you, twisting the cork out. This is an easy-to-use, reliable type of corkscrew that is relatively inexpensive.

091119_corkscrews.jpeg

Try this one. RJS gave white synthetic corks a couple years ago with the RQ kits. Nice idea but a b++ch to open. Even with this one, they squeak all the way out. I paid $10 dollars for mine at my LHBS.

cheers

1. Continuous turning corkscrew. A continuous-turn corkscrew can be identified by its large turning handle on top and the head that fits neatly on top of the wine bottle. Place the head on the bottle, twist the worm into the cork and then continue to twist the handle; the corkscrew will do the work for you, twisting the cork out. This is an easy-to-use, reliable type of corkscrew that is relatively inexpensive.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about.
EDIT - except I notice that one has no levers - mine is the same but with levers.

EDIT: I checked my two lever - it is solid - there is nothing to break no pin etc. I'd say to the other guy - get a better continuous two lever opener.

---
Though synthetic corks are no good - the wine can't age.

Last edited:
I use a floor corker with bi-disc corks from widgetco and have the same problem once in awhile. Some come out of the bottle fine; others, no way! The really good corkscrews will strip the center out of the stuck corks and not remove them.

Are you using sulfite on the corks before insertion? I had the same problem but, thanks to a thread here, stopped using sulfite on the corks and now I no longer have the problem.

Back