Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Wine Making from Grapes > First All Grape Wines

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:23 AM   #41
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 2208 Times on 1224 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty_Kay View Post
Ended up pressing last night. Overall, went pretty well however there are definitely a few things I'd do differently in terms of overall set up. But, live and learn.

There is at least an inch of sediment at the bottom of the Cab carboy and much less on the Zin. This I know is a direct result of some fumbling on my end. I'll rack off the gross lees today and pitch MLB.
Consider giving it another day or two before racking off of the gross lees, you don't want to have to do it again just after pitching MLB.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Boatboy24 Likes This 
Old 09-30-2017, 06:40 AM   #42
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 4868 Times on 2881 Posts
Likes Given: 8126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty_Kay View Post
Ended up pressing last night. Overall, went pretty well however there are definitely a few things I'd do differently in terms of overall set up. But, live and learn.

There is at least an inch of sediment at the bottom of the Cab carboy and much less on the Zin. This I know is a direct result of some fumbling on my end. I'll rack off the gross lees today and pitch MLB.
My first press was 4 lugs of a single varietal and took 3.5 hours. In 2015, Dad and I did 9 lugs of 3 varietals in 2.5 hours. Live and learn, indeed. The biggest timesaver I've found is the PVC column strainer with a ga-jillion holes in it. Rack out through that with the AI1 while finalizing the set up of everything else, then press.

Agree with John on waiting - 24-48 hours will get a lot of those lees off - and that's a good thing. Take the remains and set them in the fridge for 24 hours or so and you'll have a little more top-up wine for later.

BROAD RUN CELLARS

Johnd Likes This 
Old 09-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #43
Matty_Kay

Dec 2013
Liked 86 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd View Post
Consider giving it another day or two before racking off of the gross lees, you don't want to have to do it again just after pitching MLB.

I took a whif of the Zin and there is a hint of H2S, which was surprising since the fermentation was quite clean with no off odors at all. I'm thinking from some of the sludge at the bottom of the carboy. Wanted to rack off the gross sooner rather than later to avoid any potential bigger problems.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #44
Matty_Kay

Dec 2013

I ended up racking the Zin off the gross lees, off odor seemingly eliminated. Will pitch mlb tomorrow after racking the Cab. Clean up is finally over also. The major lifting is over, I'm hooked on all grapes. An added bonus is the wife o.k.'d the purchase of a crusher/destemmer. Plan to have in hand for spring Chilean grapes.

Boatboy24 Likes This 
Old 09-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #45
stickman
Veteran Winemaker

Jun 2014
Liked 330 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 239

I always buy first, if there are any complaints it's too late.

Johnd Likes This 
Old 10-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #46
Matty_Kay

Dec 2013

Racked both the Zin and Cab, added mlb to both and medium toast American oak to the Zin and medium plus American oak to the Cab. Will stir every few days and check for mlf progress in a few weeks