Redhots

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does the cinnamon oil add a significant heat?

I've never made anything like this so it's all conjecture on my part. I'm just going by a ginger beer I made a few years ago. Ginger is quite spicy, but no matter how much I added I could not get any heat like I had in commercial ginger beers. I later found out they add capsaicin to get the heat. It is derived from peppers, but does not have any flavor...just HOT, HOT, HOT.

So does the cinnamon oil add a significant heat?

I've never made anything like this so it's all conjecture on my part. I'm just going by a ginger beer I made a few years ago. Ginger is quite spicy, but no matter how much I added I could not get any heat like I had in commercial ginger beers. I later found out they add capsaicin to get the heat. It is derived from peppers, but does not have any flavor...just HOT, HOT, HOT.

I think if you are after heat then peppers may be more appropriate; but I definitely get hot on the finish with cinnamon oil, and it is not alcohol heat. It does not burn or irritate, but makes you go "hmmm, I want more of that" (an actual feedback comment someone gave it). But, I am a wimp when it comes to spicy stuff but this provides the cinnamon oomph I wanted.

Last edited:
Bottled this up last weekend. Ran one batch to 1.010 and the other to 1.014 (on the backsweetening). Both tasted pretty good so I am hoping some time in the bottles does even more for it.

Thanks for the update D.J. I look forward to hearing how it comes out...especially at those SGs. We're fooling around with our first sweet wines so we're just starting to figure out what the higher SGs taste like. So few people follow up with posts about the finished wine (I'm guilty of it as well), so it's great to see updates and it is appreciated.

David,
I will post back in a month or two on this one. Will let it sit that long and see what happens. My wife likes sweet wine so I make these for her. I will have a glass here and there but not much into the real sweet wines. Like my dry reds.

I agree on the follow ups. I try to write back on the ones I make to give my .02 on them.

Just opened a bottle of the 1.014. Tastes really good. Not a real predominant apple flavor but fairly sweet with a "bite" of cinammon on the back end. I am not a sweet wine drinker so I only sampled it but my wife really liked it. She is the sweet wine drinker.
In one of the glasses she drank, I put 1 red hot in the bottom of the glass and I guess that added some extra cinammon flavor to it when she reached the bottom of the glass.
It also gave it an extra "orangey" color.

Hey I was wondering what my acid or ph levels ahold be to get a good flavor out of my apple cider I'm doing. I have it all together in my primary now going to add yeast today but I'm new to this. Would really appreciate some tips

Just opened a bottle of the 1.014. Tastes really good. Not a real predominant apple flavor but fairly sweet with a "bite" of cinammon on the back end. I am not a sweet wine drinker so I only sampled it but my wife really liked it. She is the sweet wine drinker.
In one of the glasses she drank, I put 1 red hot in the bottom of the glass and I guess that added some extra cinammon flavor to it when she reached the bottom of the glass.
It also gave it an extra "orangey" color.

DJ,
Last night I opened the bottle of this that you gave me. Think I was expecting it to be a bit hotter at the first taste. It had a great red hot oder, the first taste was more appley (is that a word?) with just a touch of the heat at the end. Not sure it was a touch of heat or the red hot flavor. Anyway, it was very good. Have about a glass left, will finish it tonight. Thanks for the bottle. Arne.

Sounds good. You described it about exactly as I do. It is a little sweet for me but my wife really likes it. The "heat" at the end is the red hots. She likes to put 1 red hot in her glass with the wine. Gives it a little more cinammon-like flavor especially toward the bottom of the glass.
Glad you liked it.

I have to try it with a Redhot in the glass, my wife will like that I think since it was her idea to make this wine because she loves Redhots. Going to try that tonight.

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled across this and got interested. Can someone please post or send me the complete recipe that was used? Please help.

Wow, forgot all about this wine.
Let me grab my notes from home tonight and will post my recipe/results tomorrow.
I remember it turned out well. We used to put one red hot in the glass while drinking the wine to bump up the cinnamon flavor.

not wine but had five gallons of mehhhhh cider, just not much flavor. So I dropped a hand full in a gallon jug. Went from mehhh to wow...spicy, warm, sweeter, actually brought out the
apple flavor. the red hot dissolved really quick. Was good warmed or cold. But, I have not fermented red hots.

Wow, forgot all about this wine.
Let me grab my notes from home tonight and will post my recipe/results tomorrow.
I remember it turned out well. We used to put one red hot in the glass while drinking the wine to bump up the cinnamon flavor.

I appreciate it. I'm always looking for something new to try.

@compdoctor
I was pretty new to things when making this. Just started making wine 7 months earlier. Don't know that I would change much about it.
This is based off of a 2 gal. batch. Notes below are just as written in my journal. Not sure why I didn't add nutrient or if I forgot to write it down. If I make this again, I will add it in.

May 30, 2013
2 gal. HyVee 100% apple juice, no sugar added
7 oz. red hots (put in a mesh bag)
1 tsp. pectic enzyme
2 tsp. acid blend
4 1/2c sugar
SG 1.085
* red hots were completely dissolved 4hrs. after putting in primary

May 31
added Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast

June 3
SG 1.050

June 5
SG 1.020

June 22
Racked to 2 - 1 gal. carboys.
1 carboy I added 10 red hots to
1 carboy I had to top up with HyVee 100% apple juice and added 10 red hots

July 13
SG .993
Added 1/2 tsp sorbate and 1/8tsp kmeta to each carboy

Added 1c sugar to "non-apple juice added" carboy from June 22, made SG 1.014
Added 3/4c to "apple juice added" carboy from June 22, made SG 1.010

August 31
Opened bottle of 1.014. Taste pretty good. Not much apple flavor but nice cinnamon on back end. Fairly sweet.

November 7
Opened bottle of 1.010. Tastes good. Little apple flavor with smooth cinnamon finish. We put 2 red hots in glass with wine.
Would make this wine again.

Latest posts

Back