making wine the old-fashioned way

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, I guess if one is making wine the old fashioned way - no sulfites, it probably would be a great idea to wash them first.

If you wash the grapes , there would be no yeast to do the job then and It will turn to vinegar because of the

bacterial fermentation , since no sulfites are being used .

Hector

If you wash the grapes , there would be no yeast to do the job then and It will turn to vinegar because of the

bacterial fermentation , since no sulfites are being used .

Hector

I got ya'.

I originally thought that the white, powdery stuff on the surface of grapes is the yeast. I recently read that it isn't yeast. The article said that the yeast is in the small ringed groove where the stem connects to the grape; such a small amount that one can't really see it. Now, I am not going to guaranty this is absolutely correct, but maybe someone can confirm one way or the other.

If that is correct, it is going to be pretty hard to wash it out of that small groove.

The article said that the yeast is in the small ringed groove where the stem connects to the grape; such a small amount that one can't really see it.

Interesting !

Is there any link to that article , so that we can take a look at it ?

Hector

Interesting !

Is there any link to that article , so that we can take a look at it ?

Hector

Sorry, no link... that's why I am hedging a bit; I can't back it up.
Wait, but I have to leave so...
I just did a google search on "white powder on grapes" The entry www.chow.... talks about it, I just don't have time to give it to you right now. Take a look. It's not a great link. If I find it Monday, I'll post it. Gotta go!

Last edited:
Discouraged here... One of the two tubs I have fermenting now seems to have that white flaky stuff in it. I think someone said that was mold. They have both been covered with lids and even a towel on top. the other seems ok still. It's been about 3 weeks, I think.

Latest posts

Back