Banana wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB78

Reaction score
I have a Bananna wine going along nicely. Only problem is the amount of sediment is rediculous. It seemed very thick and cloudy at first but after 3 weeks of racking from primary it seems crystal clear. I am getting ready to rack again off the gross lees. Pronlem is I will lose quite a bit of wine due to amount of sediment. To make up for this I made a 1 gallon batch to top up my 3 gallon batch. Well the problem is my small batch is not clearing. it has cleared alot but is still very cloudy, or hazy. I am thinking of adding it any way to my 3 gallon batch after racking to make up for loss. If I do this will I ruin my crystal clear batch, and if so any recomendations. I really dont want to top up with water, I dont want to take any thing away from this. Any way any insight will help. Oh yeah and I have considered the amalase, but cant find it any where.

If you add the cloudy wine to the clear, it will all be cloudy and you will have to wait for it to clear again. Another option is to rack to smaller bottles, maybe a couple of gallon jugs and a couple of 1.5 L. bottles. Another way is to buy some clear marbles, sanatize em and put them in with the 3 gallon carboy til it fills up. Good luck with it, Arne.

If I were to add the cloudy one do you think it eventually would clear or will it remain cloudy as well as cloud up the good clear batch. I guess maybe that sounds stupid I just curious. I would hate to ruin a good thing.

it would probably clear but it would all be cloudy for a while, did you add anything to the smaller batch ie super klear, insinglass, sparkoloid?

It should eventually clear, but will probably take quite some time. Most all the wines will eventually clear on their own if you leave them alone, but quite a few of us tend to not like waiting quite so long. Get your wine temps. up in the 70's make sure it is degassed or let it degass on its own and it should clear with a dose of patience.

Get your wine temps. up in the 70's make sure it is degassed or let it degass on its own and it should clear with a dose of patience.

man i have searched every corner of the net and even some shady characters on street corners looking for patience in a powder or liquid form and that stuff just doesn't exist :)

lol....yeah patience is a hard one. Well I plan on having to wait a while on this one. I figure at least a year, but do you think it would take that long to clear.

i dunno im working on a pear wine right now that i put insinglass and bentonite in it and its clearing pretty fast and it can be a bear from what i understand. banana i thought was supposed to be used as a clearing agent back in the day before all of todays fining agents were introduced.

Most all wines will clear in a year. Yours probably won't take nearly that long. Two weeks probably won't do it, but two months will give it a good start. Keep track of it and let us know. There are others that are wondering the same thing. Arne.

like i said i think i got lucky with the first batch it is crytal clear. the second batch on the other hand going pretty slow and a bit hazy. I failed to mention there were some differences in the preperation. The first batch I boiled in a sack. the second i didnt. also the first I used white sugar, and the second I used carmelized sugar. that might be my issue. Although it does appear to be clearing now, just slow going, and it has more of an amber color due to the carmelized sugar. Also I have about 3 inches of sediment my good clear batch is sitting on. I am trying to wait on the 1 gallon batch to clear so i have something to top up with, but is it bad for it to sit on all that sediment for too long?
its been almost 3 weeks now.

Racked of the heavy sediment and combined 2 batches. The whole thing has already cleared. It has the color of a light beer and crystal cleared. Tried a small sample tastes like a extremely strong dry white wine. Not much banana flavor although I have a slight cold. My wife claims it has banana after tones. I added some campden going to let it sit a few months and take another look. I think this will definitely be better sweeter just not sure when and how to sweeten. I hear a lot of conflicting recommendations. Any one have any Advice.

well if its clear you can sweeten it now or wait until you are ready to bottle, your choice

Latest posts

Back