2017 Harford Vineyard Chilean Grape/Juice Pickup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, Fred. FWIW, I usually forego the racking can and put the hose directly into the barrel. One less thing to clean. :i

Looks good, Fred. FWIW, I usually forego the racking can and put the hose directly into the barrel. One less thing to clean. :i

Yeah, I just do it so the hose doesn't come out. I had it happen once but I probably wasn't being very careful. Thanks though. Have fun at your cook out tomorrow. I'll be on the boat trouble shooting my nav lights and horn. About a year ago they quit working and I want to get my Coast Guard inspection this year.

Yeah, I just do it so the hose doesn't come out. I had it happen once but I probably wasn't being very careful. Thanks though. Have fun at your cook out tomorrow. I'll be on the boat trouble shooting my nav lights and horn. About a year ago they quit working and I want to get my Coast Guard inspection this year.

I had it come out once as well. Use a longer hose now, and/or get one of the kids to hold it in place. I need to talk to Steve - he makes a bung for the AI1 that will fit this barrel opening.

Approximately a month after pitching MLB so I did my first test. Looks like the Syrah is all done (both the main carboy and 4L jug). Activity had died down before I went on vacation but I didn't find the time to test it. After doing some paperwork with my wife I plan to rack and Kmeta both. I also have to rack my Chianti off some lees and Kmeta (which I forgot to do). I was worried that it was showing some airlock activity and without Kmeta it may have been a spontaneous MLF. Looks like the Malic is still very strong in that one (CH on the sheet). Don't want any MLF in the Chianti since I'm trying to replicate a Cranberry Chianti wine that my wife adores, which requires some back sweetening with cranberry juice, so that throws a sorbate addition into it's future, don't need any geraniums in my wine. Wanna see if there is any taste improvement using a juice bucket verses the kit. I'm assuming the kit uses some artificial flavors in the f-pack.

6-18-17_SYR-chromo.JPG

Just noticed my Muscato carboy was blurping a bit. Checked my notes attached to the carboy and realized that I hadn't yet added any Kmeta (my bad). Worried that a wild MLF started up, so I racked and added ~ 1/3 tsp of Kmeta for 6 gallons. Guess this might have to be a dry Muscato, which isn't a terribly bad thing (unless you are my wife or SIL). Tasted pretty darn good and is pretty clear for not having added any clearing agents. Will have to work on doing some AIO rackings down the road.

Question. If I took a small sample of the wine and added some sorbate, how long would it take to be able to tell if a wild MLF started up (by a geranium smell)? Is it an immediate aroma that develops, or does it take time? I've never experienced it and don't want to start now, but also don't want to ruin a 6 gallon batch of Muscato if a wild MLF did actually start up. Any insight/shared personal experience is appreciated.

Just a little update. Had my first real glass of the Chilean Pinot Grigio this past weekend. I had several family members try a glass, and they all liked it. I didn’t take it completely dry, so there is just a little residual sweetness. ( took it to 1.001 according to my notes). It has a bit of an “earthy” taste to me, but I have no idea if I’m using that term the same way anyone else would! But the people who tried it all said it tasted like Pinot Grigio, and would drink it again. SO I’m calling it success! This was from my 1/2 gallon jug that Didn’t fit in the 5 gallon carboy.

I also have two three-gallon carboys with the South African Cabernet. From my rough estimate, MLF finished in both (took several weeks longer in one than the other) so they are both now sitting on oak chips (no barrel yet) and bulk aging. I figure these will go much longer before I sample & share compared to what I’m doing with the Pinot. I have high hopes for it.

Just a little update. Had my first real glass of the Chilean Pinot Grigio this past weekend. I had several family members try a glass, and they all liked it. I didn’t take it completely dry, so there is just a little residual sweetness. ( took it to 1.001 according to my notes). It has a bit of an “earthy” taste to me, but I have no idea if I’m using that term the same way anyone else would! But the people who tried it all said it tasted like Pinot Grigio, and would drink it again. SO I’m calling it success! This was from my 1/2 gallon jug that Didn’t fit in the 5 gallon carboy.

I also have two three-gallon carboys with the South African Cabernet. From my rough estimate, MLF finished in both (took several weeks longer in one than the other) so they are both now sitting on oak chips (no barrel yet) and bulk aging. I figure these will go much longer before I sample & share compared to what I’m doing with the Pinot. I have high hopes for it.

That's awesome! I think I didn't start drinking my PG until around Thanksgiving time, so the fact that you and others think it tastes good is a good sign. It should only continue to get better! Don't worry about the descriptions, "earthy" is what it tastes to you, and we don't own your taste buds. If you like it, I'd call it a success too!

I'm happy this has worked out for you because success breeds enthusiasm and the chance that you will keep doing this for a long time. This is one of those "sports" we can continue until we are old and gray and feeble of mind, and I like that!

Good evening all! We are about 10 months (I think) into these batches. I gave away nearly all of my Pinot Grigio over Christmas, and I've heard nothing but good things back about them. I let if finish a tad sweet, which I don't think I'd do again for a Pinot Grigio. My one friend who probably has the most refined palette said that it didn't taste like a typical pinot, but "don't get me wrong, we threw the whole thing down and loved it." If I'd have just labeled it a table white that would have been fine for him! Since I gave out a majority I only have three bottles left (I think). I don't think I'll make another Chilean batch this year, but can easily see me doing that again in 2019.

My South African Cabernet is coming along OK. I'm not nearly as excited about this one. I might have to add a little acid to bring a tad more life to it. I don't need the carboys soon, so I have no problem just letting this one bulk age a little longer. (I'm adding campden tablets every three months or so at this point. I think that's the right thing to do.) Maybe this summer on a lazy day I'll bottle this and see how it goes. Maybe I'll tip the carboy a bit tonight and see how it's coming along.

I mainly make meads, and I've been very impressed with how those change over time. Will the same hold true with a Cabernet, or when should I expect it to "peak" at? It clearly evolves over time, but I'm not sure if it will as much as my meads have.

I really do enjoy giving out bottles to friends as well. Just a good feeling.
Regarding cabs transforming I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. 1yr the wines a baby still. Pretty rare to see any cab on the shelf younger than 2yrs. Those high abv high acid high tannin high $ Napa Cabs I bet closer to 5 yrs.
Just based on my own experiences it seems like the bigger the wine the better transformation. My favorite wine I’ve made, a Cali juice bucket Cab, was just ok at 1 year but exceptional at 3yrs (also the longest wine I ever aged not coincidentally). Got a couple going now that are fruit bombs loaded with tannin. High hopes that age will allow everything to fall into place.
Never had a mead so I can’t compare.

Last edited:
Good evening all! We are about 10 months (I think) into these batches. I gave away nearly all of my Pinot Grigio over Christmas, and I've heard nothing but good things back about them. I let if finish a tad sweet, which I don't think I'd do again for a Pinot Grigio. My one friend who probably has the most refined palette said that it didn't taste like a typical pinot, but "don't get me wrong, we threw the whole thing down and loved it." If I'd have just labeled it a table white that would have been fine for him! Since I gave out a majority I only have three bottles left (I think). I don't think I'll make another Chilean batch this year, but can easily see me doing that again in 2019.

My South African Cabernet is coming along OK. I'm not nearly as excited about this one. I might have to add a little acid to bring a tad more life to it. I don't need the carboys soon, so I have no problem just letting this one bulk age a little longer. (I'm adding campden tablets every three months or so at this point. I think that's the right thing to do.) Maybe this summer on a lazy day I'll bottle this and see how it goes. Maybe I'll tip the carboy a bit tonight and see how it's coming along.

I mainly make meads, and I've been very impressed with how those change over time. Will the same hold true with a Cabernet, or when should I expect it to "peak" at? It clearly evolves over time, but I'm not sure if it will as much as my meads have.

James, why are you skipping this years spring harvest? Sounds like you had nice success with last years. I also never made mead but it's on my list to do.

Back