Harford Winery Fall 2016 Harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, just got the (very short) notice that grapes are in tomorrow. I'll be heading up at O' Dark Thirty on Saturday. Probably arriving around 8:30am.

EDIT: Oh crap. Just realized that the Syrah isn't coming in. I'm going to have to make a 3rd trip. :(

Last edited:
OK, just got the (very short) notice that grapes are in tomorrow. I'll be heading up at O' Dark Thirty on Saturday. Probably arriving around 8:30am.

EDIT: Oh crap. Just realized that the Syrah isn't coming in. I'm going to have to make a 3rd trip. :(

Nice on both counts. Fall grapes usually seem spread over three or four pickups over the last two fall seasons. I think I'll keep my fall orders to one varietal, grapes only. Now let's see when Mr Mann plans on going! Sunday is out for me, Church (can't miss two in a row) and Steelers vs Eagles in the late afternoon, need to see if Philly is a real team this year, which I didn't expect. Plus I have the urge to grill something over charcoal, maybe a beer can chicken.

Obviously, I'd be wasting my time getting there before 9, but I plan on being there at 8:59. :D

Saturday sounds like a great day to get some grapes. I don't know about 0-dark-thirty. They open at 9:00 and it's about 1:15 from here. Whaddya say, Craig? 0730 hours departure; grab some coffee along the way?

Isn't 1:15 from you, maybe 55 minutes tops (unless you drive like my Grandma, who is dead). It is a very easy drive. Let's say I aim for 7:15-7:30, we stop for coffee, and make sure we beat Boatboy Jim there.

You just have to promise me you won't let me buy an extra juice bucket or fruit bucket...okay, don't promise.

I can drive if you want, that way if something spills it won't ruin your nice car. I haven't had an accident that was my fault, since I was 17, so your good (ask my sister or my brother).

I haven't had an accident that was my fault, since I was 17, so your good (ask my sister or my brother).

I've learned to never say anything like that out loud... I can drive - take the CRV. Plenty of room for a bucket or two more. For me, of course.

Granted, I've slowed down with age. But, I ain't dead-Grandma-slow. [emoji41]

Timing sounds good.

I've learned to never say anything like that out loud... I can drive - take the CRV. Plenty of room for a bucket or two more. For me, of course.

Granted, I've slowed down with age. But, I ain't dead-Grandma-slow. [emoji41]

Timing sounds good.

I know, it is like asking for more patience. He will test your patience if you ask!

We'll continue this conversation tomorrow since I'm supposed to be of sound mind to discuss an ongoing large project with my boss tomorrow morning. And I'm having my second glass of degassed Dornfelder which is so much better degassed I'm thinking of a third glass.

I'm throwing caution to the wind, grapes abound and are around!

Nice on both counts. Fall grapes usually seem spread over three or four pickups over the last two fall seasons. I think I'll keep my fall orders to one varietal, grapes only. Now let's see when Mr Mann plans on going! Sunday is out for me, Church (can't miss two in a row) and Steelers vs Eagles in the late afternoon, need to see if Philly is a real team this year, which I didn't expect. Plus I have the urge to grill something over charcoal, maybe a beer can chicken.

Last year: 3 varietals from Lanza. 3 deliveries all on the same day. I know that was lucky, but now I'm dealing with 3 separate deliveries for 4 varietals. And it now seems that they are doing crush on one day only. I had thought about waiting until Monday to pick up, but don't want them soaking in the walk-in for 3 days.

We wouldn't want to waste any time. :db

Bottle swap, anyone? Pm me.

PM sent.

Last edited:
Last year: 3 varietals from Lanza. 3 deliveries all on the same day. I know that was lucky, but now I'm dealing with 3 separate deliveries for 4 varietals. And it now seems that they are doing crush on one day only. I had thought about waiting until Monday to pick up, but don't want them soaking in the walk-in for 3 days.

PM sent.

You can always consider having the early batches frozen til you pick up the latest arrival, and get some cold soaking to boot!

Edit: If they do that....

OK, now back to the real business of this years harvest/crush.

The Lanza Zin was down to 1.020 last night and moving right along. I'll press Saturday or Sunday, depending on what time I get back from Harford tomorrow.

I have one packet of VP41 for the 4 batches I'm doing. The grapes are coming in at different times, over a 3 week period, it seems. Anyone see an issue with me pressing, racking and waiting to pitch MLB until all 4 are ready? I wouldn't think there'd be, but figured I'd check, just in case.

OK, now back to the real business of this years harvest/crush.

The Lanza Zin was down to 1.020 last night and moving right along. I'll press Saturday or Sunday, depending on what time I get back from Harford tomorrow.

I have one packet of VP41 for the 4 batches I'm doing. The grapes are coming in at different times, over a 3 week period, it seems. Anyone see an issue with me pressing, racking and waiting to pitch MLB until all 4 are ready? I wouldn't think there'd be, but figured I'd check, just in case.

That's what I would do.....

Jim,
At what temp is the area in where your fermentation is taking place? IIRC, your basement?
I just posted on my thread my wines all finished in 4 days, really wanted them to go through the week.

Jim,
At what temp is the area in where your fermentation is taking place? IIRC, your basement?
I just posted on my thread my wines all finished in 4 days, really wanted them to go through the week.

Typically 65-70.

Must temps have been right around 80 the last two days. I didn't measure then, but suspect Tuesday was mid-80s

Did you take any pics bb?

Not much to photo. We drove 90 minutes, picked up grapes that were crushed the day before, then drove home. I'll take some of our Zin press this weekend. Maybe a few happy snaps of @jgmann67 and @ceeaton as well.

Last edited:
My Muscat canelli grapes are in, but I will have to go back for that juice and Traminette grapes.

I will go either Sunday or Monday as I am in VA visiting friends this weekend.

Enjoy your Saturday pick-up guys!

Latest posts

Back