Blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made this twice now both times it has turned out fantastic. Getting ready to start a third. Doesn't stick around very long.
ateurtrk79, Red Grape concentrate is correct. Use the whole thing.

Yeah using an actual concord concentrate over the cheaper Welch's is only going to improve the final product IMO. Go forth and make great wine!

K-meta??? is that Potassium Metabisulfite
and also do you have average time frames for this?

I started a 2 gallon batch of Blackberry/Blueberry this morning. Had frozen fruit that we picked at a local berry farm in June. It's my second homemade wine, my first is a Pinot Grigio from a box juice kit that is probably about a week from bottling. Other than quantities and mix of fruit, recipe looks similar. I hope it turns out as good as some of the recipes I've seen here.
Hi Bluerdg
I have about 15lbs of Blueberries and about 15lb of blackberries. I am thinking about making a 5 gallon batch of wine with them. Should I just put them all in one fermentation bucket or use two buckets? I can not find any instructions or recipe for a Blackberry/Blueberry wine.Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
NC-beeman

Hi Bluerdg
I have about 15lbs of Blueberries and about 15lb of blackberries. I am thinking about making a 5 gallon batch of wine with them. Should I just put them all in one fermentation bucket or use two buckets? I can not find any instructions or recipe for a Blackberry/Blueberry wine.Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
NC-beeman

I have had great results with black and blue berry, I use 2 gallons black berries and 1 gallon of blue berries for a 5 gallon batch. I do this because of the natural sulfites in the blue berries and the likelihood of sticking fermentation is less with more black berries. I also freeze the blue berries and mash them so they release more of their flavor, if you put them in fresh the skins don't pop. I also use yeast energizer and nutrient so the yeast can get a good start. I measure in gallons of fruit not pounds mostly because I never weighed up a gallon of anything. I fill up a 6.5 gallon fermenter for primary and when I rack to secondary in 5 gallon carboy it comes out almost perfectly at 5 gallons without pulp and bag.

Tom, You have made my day with this recipe... I am running a virgin :D test batch of Apple Cherry right with plans to do Blackberry after. Has anyone heard of using Blackberry puree instead?

The work shop were I ferment runs 74-76 degrees during the summer, maybe as high as 78 on hot days. Will that be a problem for this Lalvin 71B 1122 yeast?

Latest posts

Back