What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think those are awesome and can produce some fantastic BBQ. My FIL has one and he did a pork butt and ribs one day when we were out for a visit. Turned out great. I like the design, multiple shelves and configurations. Ability to add a water pan. Ease of adding fuel.

Where do you put a WSM in that lineup?

That is definitely a lower quality build than the OK Joe. Char-Griller does have a higher quality build these days. Looks similar to the OK Joe.

The Big Blue Box store is carrying OK Joe these days if things ever go back to a new normal you might want to check out the build quality.

https://www.chargriller.com/products/competition-pro-a-8125-charcoal-grill

The highland looks to be a better quality than what I have. The way the lids are built will choke off more air than mine it is really heavy though.

Finished pork butt. Perfectly pullable.
FBE7EF62-BEF9-462B-BA17-0B2E8EB18F68.jpeg
Smoke to 155, wrap in foil with bourbon or beer to avoid the stall (Texas crutch), smoke to 195+, rest 20+ minutes And walla. If you want bark (which the misses doesn’t like), then wrap at 155, unwrap at 180. Finish to 195+ then rest. 8# butt done in 12 hours.

C9078992-1E43-4EA1-BE57-9D2B8CEBB45B.jpegFinished product.

Last edited:
Well, maybe not dinner tonight, but soon! Last year we did and F1 steer (50/50 Wagyu/Angus), this year, finally, we have some F2’s (75/25 Wagyu/Angus) on my buddy’s farm. This dude was almost 2, weighed 958# on the hoof, 551# once quartered, half is mine, half my buddy. He’s hanging in the cooler for three weeks before cutting / vacuum packing. He was kept in a half acre pasture and fed a prescribed diet since he was a calf, it changed three times as he put on weight, and boosted to a “finishing” mix for the last two months. The meat looks to be better marbled than the F1, but we’ve still got some room for improvement. Looking forward to getting him home and into the freezer.
2A1D4D16-2C78-4303-A804-12ADE6A75EA8.jpegBD093831-74F7-4F04-AF27-1B070A6A702A.jpeg

Well, maybe not dinner tonight, but soon! Last year we did and F1 steer (50/50 Wagyu/Angus), this year, finally, we have some F2’s (75/25 Wagyu/Angus) on my buddy’s farm. This dude was almost 2, weighed 958# on the hoof, 551# once quartered, half is mine, half my buddy. He’s hanging in the cooler for three weeks before cutting / vacuum packing. He was kept in a half acre pasture and fed a prescribed diet since he was a calf, it changed three times as he put on weight, and boosted to a “finishing” mix for the last two months. The meat looks to be better marbled than the F1, but we’ve still got some room for improvement. Looking forward to getting him home and into the freezer.
View attachment 60236View attachment 60237

Do you eat that much beef?

View attachment 60236View attachment 60237

Holy cow 😊

Do you eat that much beef?
Over the course of a year, we’ve nearly eaten the last one, he was bigger, like 1200# on the hoof. I have a family of 6 (two teenage boys), so we go through some food, and typically put 2 deer per year in the freezer as well. When you get right down to it, my half is 275 lbs, probably end up with 225# meat, 100# of which is usually ground meat in 1# packs. One brisket, 10 - 12 filets, 8 strips and 8 ribeyes, a 4 bone rib roast, some shanks and short ribs, plus 6 - 8 roasts and some misc. steaks like a tri-tip, flat iron, etc., you can go through it faster than you think.

Just finished up a batch of breakfast burritos, then put a 7 bone rack of beef ribs into a water bath for tomorrow's dinner.

I apologize in advance: I am posting WAY too many pix of this quotidian meal. But what the hell, electrons are cheap, no? And it is not like you all have somewhere else to go right now! :)

Ho-made baked bread (very plain); Cannelloni beans (za'atar spice seasoning); frozen green beans (due to the lockdown) with Cambazola cheese and slivered almonds; roasted head of cauliflower (cumin, garlic, butter); a small, sous-vide cooked chuck roast (30 hours at 135F, then seared in cast-iron pan, seasoned with marjoram, herbs de Provence, and S&P); a pan sauce of reduced beef stock, the sous-vide blood juices, and Amarone; sauteed 'shrooms and shallots (thyme, garlic). All washed down with a 5-yr-old CC Showcase Amarone.

View attachment 59859View attachment 59860View attachment 59861View attachment 59862View attachment 59863
Paul, damit! You made me look it up! Arrrgh!

Thank you!

quotidian
adjective

quo·tid·i·an | \ kwō-ˈti-dē-ən \
Definition of quotidian

1: occurring every day quotidian fever
2a: belonging to each day : EVERYDAY quotidian routine
b: COMMONPLACE, ORDINARY quotidian drabness

Latest posts

Back