WineXpert Red Zin/Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptofimpact

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have made several of these Kits, mostly pleased with the results.
Can I ask, how much bottled water[ gallons] do you all add?
When I add enough to produce 6 Gallons finished product, it's a tad watery, but 5 1/2 Gallons finished is quite good.
Curious as to others experience.

What level kit are you making? I find most any of the lower level kits such as the Vintners Reserve in the reds are watery. I always have topped up to 6 US gallons though (23 liters). With the high end kits I have never experienced this issue. Only issue with not topping to the recommended level is you will throw the balance off. If you like the way it comes out and will not seek warranty claims if something goes wrong I would keep on doing it the way it tastes good to you.

Smurfe, Thanks for the reply. I am using Vintners Reserve, World Vineyard collection, 7.5 liters of juice.
You are so right, if it tastes right, keep doin it that way~
My problem is I like the stuff too dang much!

I assume you are talking about the California Zinfandel Shiraz. I have made this wine and I have another on order right now. I have always added enough water to make a 6 gallon batch and I like it that way.

Hey guys,

ptofimpact raises a good issue. Generally speaking would the membership here say that the smaller kits with less juice that you have to add more water to, taste like they are more watered down? I just started making wine in February and I have 3 kits aging and 2 that I have bottled and not felt are quite ready to drink yet. I also have used 8 liter kits all the way up to 15 liter kits. Does anyone feel that there is a difference in the taste of the smaller wine kits versus the larger kits?

Chateau Joe,
Yes it is the Calif Zinfandel Shiraz, The last few batches, I added enough water to give me 5 gallons and a fifth, and I really like the outcome, the last batch I 'topped off' got 6 full gallons, but found it just a tad watery. Not complaining, I shall still drink all of it~
this batch I shall go for 5 1/2 gallons and see.

To me the lesser kits have much less body and are also weaker in abv. I make only the RJ Spagnols Winery Series or En Primeurs kits and some of the Cru Select kits that have grape skins. i like big reds with a higher abv and i always add extra oak cause i like the oak monster!

Does anyone feel that there is a difference in the taste of the smaller wine kits versus the larger kits?

Yeah but that's only one difference. For example, I bottled two reds back in February. Both from Vineco.

Legacy Valpolicella (15 litre 6-week kit)
Ken Ridge Classic Merlot (10 litre 4-week kit)

I like them both, but the Legacy should be a better brand. I had them both one day, and preferred the Merlot. I think it had a bit more body, and 'better' taste. I'll have to try a more structured comparison. Do I prefer Merlot to Valpolicella? Maybe. Probably. But also, the KRC Merlot is a regular wine for us, so I'm more used to the taste.

But the real answer to your question would involve comparing several different Merlots. But even then it's difficult. For example, compare the Ken Ridge Showcase French Merlot to the Ken Ridge Showcase Chilean Merlot. They should taste different (I would expect the Chilean to be jammier). But would I prefer them to the cheaper/lesser Ken Ridge Classic Merlot? Maybe. Maybe not.

Steve

I haven't tried any of the kits that have grape skins. I think my next kit will be one of those. Any brands that are recommended?

I haven't tried any of the kits that have grape skins. I think my next kit will be one of those. Any brands that are recommended?
Ruggierm,
If you want some "hands on advise" I am having my monthly wine club meeting @ my home in Delanco, NJ. You are invited if you want to see and taste some great wine (this Sunday 1PM). We usually get 20-25 people at the meetings. Yes we all bring many bottles..

In no particular order......Ken Ridge Founders Series, Selection Crushendo, Cellar Classic Winery Series, En Primeur, Cellar Craft Showcase. There are a couple of grape skin kits in the Cru Select line.

Steve

Ruggierm,
If you want some "hands on advise" I am having my monthly wine club meeting @ my home in Delanco, NJ. You are invited if you want to see and taste some great wine (this Sunday 1PM). We usually get 20-25 people at the meetings. Yes we all bring many bottles..

tom,

Thanks for the invite. I realize I am getting back to you after the meeting, but maybe some time inthe future. How far is Delanco from the Walt Whitman or comm Barry bridges?

Latest posts

Back