Vineco Founders Series Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGI

Reaction score
I have made quite a few reds from the Founders series. These are 18ltr kits with a grape crush pack and 300ml chitosan as clearing agent.

I use the Buon Vino Minijet and red filter pads (recommended by my supplier), but my wines seem to have more sediment than other kits without the grape pack.

I've been told for such a full body, some sediment can be expected and not to change the filter type.

Are there any other suggestions by anyone; perhaps an extra racking step? Bulk age before bottling? Is it possible I'm not getting the clearing I should?

The wine tastes great. As it ages I expect it to improve more... but with age I am seeing more sediment than desired.

Last edited:
CGI,

I haven't made a Founders Series with grape pack YET!!! But have found extra sediment coming from other grape pack kits. I usually take longer than the instructions to make any kit (even the Mist kits). The grape skin kits I add an extra month or two and at least one extra racking.

By red filter pads do you mean #2s (red printing) or #1s (recommended by me for reds)?

Steve

CGI,

I haven't made a Founders Series with grape pack YET!!! But have found extra sediment coming from other grape pack kits. I usually take longer than the instructions to make any kit (even the Mist kits). The grape skin kits I add an extra month or two and at least one extra racking.

By red filter pads do you mean #2s (red printing) or #1s (recommended by me for reds)?

Steve

Steve, I want to say #2 and yes the printing-package is red. I don't have a pack to confirm.

At what stage do you add the extra racking? Before filter?

I have a Chilean Tres Tinto filtered and bulk aging now. I'm trying to decide what to do next with it.

You will like the Founders kits. I am just now drinking a Grenache / Syrah / Mourvedre and it is very good. I have an Italian Brunello in secondary and a Riesling to start hopefully this weekend.

CGI:

Bulk aging and extra racking before filtering. Filtering is the last step before bottling.

I know some folks who have made the FS German Riesling. They loved it.

I've also talked to some people who really liked the FS Australian Cab/Shiraz.

Steve

Last edited:
I just keep racking red wines until they drop no sediment. I dont filter reds. The reds need much more time before drinking anyway so I choose to just let them age in carboy and drop all they can. I do sometimes get wine diamonds though so from now on I will bulk age in my wine cellar instead of my wine making room.

So, Wade or Steve... or anyone,

Since I've filtered that Chilean (7days ago) can it sit in a carboy to age or should I bottle?

I have always bottled 2-3 days after filtering. Was thinking this time maybe I'd let it sit to have more of the sediment drop?

It can sit there for years if you want but youll have to add 1/4 tsp of k-meta every 3-4 months to protect it from oxidizing.

Kendridge Founders Series Fining instructions ??

Got a kendridge Amarone Founder Series going into secondary. ( 24-26 dy). Instructions for fining say to addi the Package #5. ( 2 bags worth). however also got a Kieselsol in the kit that normally would be added before the Chitosan. No comment in the instructions about this however. I could ignore the kieselsol but have enough experience to know that it is also a useful part of the fining/clearing process. You don;t want to mess with an Amarone. Any body else have this dilemma?

Depending on when you intend on drinking your wine I see no reason to over do it on fining agents. If you were to bulk age for 3 months and do a fine lees racking a lot of it will clear with minimum fining. Let it bulk for a year and you'll have a high end consumer grade vintage equivalent to a $20-$30 bottle.
Or filter it and start drinking when it hits 0.994.

I'm sure that kits (never made one mind you) come with all the additional fining agents so that they can live up to their "26 day drinkability" statement.

You can add the AB pack any way you feel confident.

Got hold of Scott at Vineco in St Catharines Ont who indicated that they were in the middle of changing their fining methods. The kit has the new fining agents and the instructions refer to the old method of only using Chitosan. I seem to remember this from other Kenridge Founders that I have made. The new technique will add the Kieslsol first , wait for 1-30 minutes and then add the Chitosan. Would be nice if they could get their act together!l

I normally add my clearing stuff then rack off the sediment 3 weeks later and let my kits bulk age for 8 months or so. A few weeks ago i checked on 3 of my grape skin kits (1 RQ, 1 winery series, 1 EP) and notice allot more sediment on the bottom . I racked them again and now 3 weeks later, they have dropped more. it is allot less so far but still there.

i don't see how, if you follow the instructions, you would not have sediment in your bottles.

i have only been making grape skin kits for a short while. i guess they will need additional rackings over the regular 16L kits

cheers

Latest posts

Back