Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckcreek

Joan
Reaction score
I just joined the forum and I'm excited about learning new things about making wine. I'm just about to bottle my first batch and off course I have guestions.
I degassed the wine by stirring it several times and added the potassium sorbate and the fining agent (Isinglass Ichtyocolle). I did this a few days ago but it doesn't look as clear as I would like. I purchased a stirring rod to use with my electric screwdriver and I was wondering if I should stir it again and add another fining agent or just go ahead and filter it?

I can't believe how much fun this is, I just purchased some more equipment and have started a new batch.
Any suggestions on my question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It can take a few weeks some time for clearing agents to work. just be patient.
If you posted what kind of wine it is and your procedures up to that point I am sure some one will be able to give you a more precise answer.

and welcome!

I just joined the forum and I'm excited about learning new things about making wine. I'm just about to bottle my first batch and off course I have guestions.
I degassed the wine by stirring it several times and added the potassium sorbate and the fining agent (Isinglass Ichtyocolle). I did this a few days ago but it doesn't look as clear as I would like. I purchased a stirring rod to use with my electric screwdriver and I was wondering if I should stir it again and add another fining agent or just go ahead and filter it?

I can't believe how much fun this is, I just purchased some more equipment and have started a new batch.
Any suggestions on my question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

No, don't stir it until it is clear and racked off the remaining sediment.

You didn't mention what kind of wine or if it is from kit or fresh/frozen, or fruit wine. As much info as possible always makes answering your questions easier.

You didn't mention adding sulfites to protect your wine. Did you?

As already mentioned, it can take several weeks/months for the wine to clear. Don't ever try to filter unclear wine, it will stop up the filter quickly. Don't be in too much of a hurry; give it several months before you filter and bottle.

Thank you for the replies. I should have included more information. I bought a kit which came with the wine base, Bentonite, Yeast, potassium metabisulphite, potassium sorbate and Isinglass Ichtyocolle. The wine is Johannisberg Riesling. The kit also came with elderberries to put in the mixture.

As my first attempt I can tell you some of the things that I would change if I get another kit. First of all I would get a tool to help get the cap of the bag of wine base. I spilled some of it trying to get it open, I finally cut the plastic bag. When I racked the wine the carboy was a 6 gal like the primary fermenter but after racking the volume was much lower than it should have been so I had a large surface for oxygen contact. I had an airlock and the directions said not to top it off. Next time I will use a smaller carboy. I also didn't put it in a dark cool place but all in all the wine taste good and looks good. I added 1 cup of sugar after adding the potassium sorbate. I was just worried I didn't degass it properly so it's still a little cloudy. I will just let it stay in the carboy for a while until it clears. Thank you. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

HELLO!!!!!! (In the voice of Mrs. Doubtfire)

Welcome to the family!!!!
I can tell you the one thing that I read on here repeatedly is that wine making requires extreme patience. I haven't made a batch just yet. Waiting on my grapes to ripen this fall. When in doubt, wait it out!! It should clear up soon. Good luck!!

HELLO!!!!!! (In the voice of Mrs. Doubtfire)

Welcome to the family!!!!
I can tell you the one thing that I read on here repeatedly is that wine making requires extreme patience. I haven't made a batch just yet. Waiting on my grapes to ripen this fall. When in doubt, wait it out!! It should clear up soon. Good luck!!

While you are waiting, you mite try making a batch of skeeter pee or welches. Get some of the first time jitters out of the way and give you a little bit of confidence for your next batch. Arne.

Latest posts

Back