Use a secondary or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursejohn

Reaction score
I am still very new at beermaking and am getting ready to order a Brewer's Best kit. Right now I have only(1)5 gallon carboy and it is tied up with some wine. My question is, is it necessary to rack to a secondary or can the beer stay in the primary bucket for the entire process? Thanks for your help, John.

I've done both and had no negative effects in terms of taste leaving it in the primary or using a secondary. I had to be a bit more careful racking out of the primary into the bottling bucket when I used the primary only (more stuff at the bottom that could be sucked up) but that was it.

On average, the only time I rack a beer is if I am brewing a lager. I will start it in a bucket and rack to a carboy to lager. I would say 98% of my brews are start to finish in the same vessel.

Thanks for the replies. I will let you know how it turns out, John.

I too just leave them in primary now, they usually stay there for 2-3 weeks after fermentation is done with lid snapped on tight!

I didn't snap my lid down tight on the fermenting bucket. Is this going to make a difference?

How long was it sitting after fermentation finished with lid loose? Either way if it wasnt long you should be fine. Beer is much more susceptible to infections with low abv and lower acid levels so just try and keep a really good sanitation routine and try to keep air out as best as you can.

Back