Long weekend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepere

Reaction score
I see I've missed a few things over my extended weekend in WVA. Fish being caught, industrial spillage, and heaven knows what else.
smiley5.gif

Worked on the cabin for four days before taking a canoe trip. Now that we've decided to move there's a lot to do at both places and maintain my already crazy schedule.
smiley11.gif
Present house goes on the market in June.

Arrived home late this afternoon and had to immediately rack my Green Apple Riesling. Did a second racking of my chianti and will let the latter bulk age for a month or so. Our friends on the mountain really enjoyed the WB Shiraz and I must admit it is only getting better in the bottle. Yes I tasted the chianti during racking. UMM UMM good!

Found a Food Lion with an impressive wine isle. Actually bought a bottle of Barton & Guestier, Chateaunuef du Pape, 2003. If my Vieux Chatau du Roi turns out any where near that good I'll be in heaven about 2 years from now.
smiley4.gif

I guess that brings you up to date. I leave for Vt on the 12th and Tampa on the 30th. Lots to do before then. Oh I did get a clarification on the translation of "Chateauneuf " it is actually the 9th Chateau of the Pope not the "New Chateau" as was previously mentioned somewhere on this forum. Just a little FYI.
smiley2.gif

Pepere,

What does a bottle of the Barton & Guesteir cost? I could only find one bottleat a local wine store and it had been on the shelf for a long while and the room was not very cool, so I opted not to pay the $35 for the bottle. I just put the fining agent in myVieux Château du Roi kit. I did sneak a taste and it was very good, but I couldn't distinguish much oak.

pkcook:

I must tell you, I was shocked to find this bottlein a Food Lion of all places for $18.00. Actually there were two bottles and they were also on the shelf for some time. I really got worried when I went to open it and the cork "seemed" to be dried out and crumbly.
smiley5.gif

After extacting the cork I realized it was just the top of the cork that had dried out for some reason, fist time I had see that but I think it is because they stored the bottle standing up. Who knows what would have happened in another couple of months to that bottle.
smiley11.gif
smiley19.gif

The wine itself was classic. Surprisingly not very oaky as that was what I had been told to expect. A little peppery, heavy (my wife doesn't usually like heavy but drank her share!!) yet very smooth. I'm not a wine snob by any stretch and my ability to acurately discribe a wine is limited but this was very very good and very distinctive. It went very well with the grilled beef.

I hope since the Vieux Chateau is in the same style as the Chateauneufthat we can just come close to this wine 'cause if it does I'll go broke making it.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back