Vineco Kenridge Founder Cab/Shiraz stuck at 1.003

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javadarth

Junior
Reaction score
I have a Kenridge Founder series Aussie Cab/Shiraz on the go. The starting SG was 1.090.

It fermented out to approx. 1.005 within 8 days - and then I racked it to the secondary fermenter. The temperature is approx. 21-22 C .

It has pretty much sat at the same SG (1.003) for 14 days. There are no bubbles at all.

The directions suggest the target should be < 0.997 - so it still has a ways to go.

One other thing I noticed is the presence of small amount of white film on the surface of the wine (just a bit ).

Today I stirred it up a bit and put on a heat belt. I am hoping that will get things going again.

If it doesn't move in the next few days, should I buy some additional yeast to try and restart fermentation?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
Don't buy or add anymore yeast.

It is very difficult to get a stuck fermentation going again from such a low SG of 1.003.

I have had several wines stop at that level with no problems later on. It is low enough that it won't taste sweet, anyway. When the instructions say to, I certainly would add the sorbate to it, though, just in case.

I have no idea what that film is, but I would sanitize a turkey baster and suck it off the wine before I rack it.

You did the right thing by raising the temperature and stirring. If the SG doesn't change in 3 or 4 days (I'll bet it doesn't!), I would consider its fermentation completed and move on with the next step in your instructions.

You should still end up with an excellent wine.

Thanks Robie - I am seeing a little bubbling now that the temperature is up.

I will give it a couple more days and retest.

Warren

Don't buy or add anymore yeast.

It is very difficult to get a stuck fermentation going again from such a low SG of 1.003.

I have had several wines stop at that level with no problems later on. It is low enough that it won't taste sweet, anyway. When the instructions say to, I certainly would add the sorbate to it, though, just in case.

I have no idea what that film is, but I would sanitize a turkey baster and suck it off the wine before I rack it.

You did the right thing by raising the temperature and stirring. If the SG doesn't change in 3 or 4 days (I'll bet it doesn't!), I would consider its fermentation completed and move on with the next step in your instructions.

You should still end up with an excellent wine.

The white ring is normal for these kits but does not effect the wine it is just unpleasant to look at. When you bottle it will stick to the side of the glass in the carboy and produce a film. It can be remedied by an additional racking after 6weeks

Latest posts

Back