why use pot meta only for wine but not beer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanek17

Reaction score
I have gotten to know wine making and I've noticed the common use of adding in pot meta. But as I learn about beer I see that it is not infused into the beer. Why is pot meta added to wine to protect it but not beer? From my understanding it's an antioxidant and protects wine from spoilage and oxidation. Wouldn't beer benefit from this as well? Beer is also a lower percentage of alcohol , meaning it's more susceptible to bacterial infection and spoilage, anda wine is generally safer because of it's high alcohol percentage. So hypothetically speaking, wouldn't the beer be better suited for protection with pot meta?

Because you want your beer to ferment and beer yeast is much more susceptible to sulfites then wine yeast. If you use sulfites in beer it will not ferment plus youll most likely taste the sulfites in beer as its 90% water. In addition sulfite isnt a strong enough anti microbial as wine isnt as susceptible to bacteria as ber as due to ph levels.

Back