Whip technique for degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a limited amount of space, so I have 3 carboys and a bucket. I gave last summer's wine 5-6 months of bulk aging before bottling, and I still had a significant amount of gas when I went to bottle. In my experience, 6 months wasn't enough time, and I don't have the space or resources to wait 12-18 months.

I absolutely didn't mean "why degas? just be patient" in a condescending type way. What I mean to say is that this was my mentality on degassing for years, having limited winemaking knowledge. Preferring to wait
rather than drill or stir some paddle since I knew for 100% that I can't screw up doing "nothing".
Sidenote - I am looking forward to at some point in the next year buying an AIO which will make degassing just another easy step in the process. That is, if it is actually as good as advertised

I don't have the space or resources to wait 12-18 months.

I wish I could be as responsible as you. Because I also SHOULDNT Have the space or resources for more and more equipment. But instead of waiting until my Demis or carboys are open I just buy some more, slowly commandeering the entire basement.
I try to bring in a carboy or kit when she's not home. And I got everything on "sale" always. Haha. So actually I'm not being patient at all. I'm being impulsive and irresponsible. I really should stop doing that.
***Heather, if you happen to read this just know I love you and I can change******

Back