Pectic Enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert

Reaction score
I just read something on the use of pectic enzyme. It said not to add pectic with bentonite as it negate the effect of the pectic enzyme. I often use both in fruit wines. Has anyone any comments on this. As this news to me. Maybe I've been useing wrong all this time???
smiley5.gif

Oh great, I just used Bentonite for my last 2 batches. I read that it
was good to use in primary ferm. I hope if its true it doesn't do any
harm. Any body else know any more this topic?

I was under the impression that one should add pectic enzyme and wait 8 hours for it to do its work before doing anything else to the batch.
I use it after i Sterilize the juice and have allowed the sulfates to have 24 hours alone.
Maybe im being too cautious but i have very little experience and usually learn from making some beautifull mistakes

Every recipe I've ever used or read says to dump everything in except for yeast so I'm at a loss.

wadewade said:
Every recipe I've ever used or read says to dump everything in except for yeast so I'm at a loss.

I also put everything in the first day...except the yeast, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer.....
Should I add the yeast energizer/nutrient the first day too??????

I dont know if you should but I always do. Those are the instructions
on every kit and Vintners Harvest Wine bases so I do the same with my
scratch wines also and have never had a problem.

Do you folks mean sugar too and then wait a day to pitch??? Sounds nice and easy.

Do your kits usually have pectic enzyme in them????Edited by: scotty

Not that I know of but the wine bases say to add because most of them are solid packed fruit in juice.

pectic enzyme reacts poorly with Sulphite, and thus will not break down the pectin in the fruit if it has already been sulphited at the same time. So, Pectic first, wait 12 hours, then sulphite, wait 12 hours to sanitize the must, then innoculate with yeast. At least that is how I've come to understand it. I have not heard that Pectic enzyme reacts with Bentonite. I do know that within 12 hours pectic enzyme will have broken down most of the pectin though. So maybe wait until the pectic enzyme is done before adding Bentonite if you are using it as a nucleation method (in the beginning of fermentation)

I'm pretty much a newbie but wouldnt you want to add sulfite first so as not to start a fermentation out of natural yeasts?

Possibly adding sulfite at first--wait 24 hours--add enzyme wait 24 hours((pectic enzyme is suposed to take 12 to 24 hours to work as i have read.))
My first comment about waiting 8 hours was a mistake. I must have had something else in mind. Perhaps digesting mozzarella
smiley3.gif

Then add sugar, adjust acid and add bentonite and yeast????????Edited by: scotty

Peptic Enzyme....I read in some wine making book that Peptic Enzyme has a short shelf life.....
Anyone....agree or disagree...??????????
I keep mine in the fridge with the yeast...just incase...

Geeez....I have been reading and rereading this Post about...when to add the Peptic Enzyme...and everyone seems to have different notions....

I always added it the day I mixed the juice, sugar, Sulfite, etc....then the next day added the Yeast Nutrient, Energizer and yeasts.... It seemed to always make clear wine.

So, mixing up a batch of ChokeCherry/Red Grape yesterday I looked at the label on the bottle of LD Carlson Peptic Enzyme...I don't recall reading this before...or I just missed it, or...didn't pay attention...Duuuh!!!

"DIRECTIONS: Add 1/2 tsp/US gallon of juice, or 1/10 tsp/pound fruit.
One hour before start of fermentation.</font>"

Has the label always said that????
smiley25.gif

So...today, one hour before I pitch the yeast, I will stir in the Peptic Enzyme... Hope after all this time...I am finally doing it right...?

The plot thickens. Maybe supposed to is not necessarily the correct word to use very often?????

Northern, I have also been doing that and have heard people put theis
in 12 hours after mixing and 12 hours before adding yeast. Who do we
trust.

Don't know!!!!
Guess....do what you always do...it it works, continue doing it....But...maybe it can be better....
Following directions usually works....
smiley2.gif
Have seen people crumple up instructions, throw them in the garbage...only to dig them out later when they can't figure it out.....Just had a girlfriend say..."who has time to read directions"...but she had time to call and ask for advise.....
smiley17.gif

You know, I was just wondering about the sequencing on it. Haven't made too much from fruit, mostly kits but still havent' made much anyway!

Checked Jack Keller - he says for cold extraction (or not using heat or boiling water) campden, wait 8-10 hours, add pectic enzyme , refrigerate for 24-48 hours, rewarm and add other ingredients. "for fermentation extractions -Other ingredients, including sugar, water, sulfites, pectic enzyme, acid blend, yeast nutrients, etc., are added in a time-dependent fashion"

Ill bet many methods work. I have been treating any juice as though it needed all the treatments
Start a yeast starte bottle to add later
Make abentonite liquid to add later((what a yucky mess(\))
Sterilize and start to soak wood chips
Sterilize juice/must wait 24 hours
pectic enzyme- wait 24 hours((less time is called for but i want a system.
Test S.G. and adjust sugar
Add tannin if required
add nutrient and energizer
Test and adjust acid
Add bentonite
yeast
wood chips
cover primary with cloth and rubber band
go to harley shop and brag about bike, wine and other silly things.
I dont think i left anything out except i take notes and keeo a record sheet for every batch of anything i make.

On the label on the pectic enzyme it calls for 1/4t per 5 gal, but pretty much all receipes call for 1/2t per gallon.

Which does one use?

follow the directions on your label as many of these chems ared ifferent strength. Most recipes call for powdered form Pectic enzyme but I use the liquid concentrate with good results and that is a major difference insize that you would add.

Back