WineXpert Onother newbie bites the dust

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterCooper

Reaction score
My first kit is a Vinterns Reserve Chianti. I haven't had any real problems
until now but...

I racked into the carboy 4 days ago. The SG is now .990 and it looks like
fermentation has finished. Should I go on to stage 3 or should I wait the
days it says in the instructions.

Also I "lost" the metabisulphate packet (or my dog chewed it or it got
VERY
wet and was ruined
smiley5.gif
)

Shoud I replace with crushed campden tablets in stage 3 and if so, how
many?

Top it up very well and wait the 10 days.

Hhmmm...did you get the kit from George? If so, call him and see if the packet also contains sorbate. He will most likely respond on here before monday. I would use 6 campden tablets or 1/4 teaspoon Potassium Metabisulphite and the appropriate amount of Potassium Sorbate, but wait until either George or Joseph responds.

Oh yea, welcome to the forum!

smiley33.gif

Welcome to the forum Peter and good luck with your first kit. You, like I, are fortunate to have found this forum with such a knowledgeable group of people ready and willing to offer their experise to our efforts.

Peter,

First and foremost, always follow the kit instructions! They are designed to make sure you make the best possible wine. As a result, do not perform any step prior to the minimum number of days listed in the instructions.

Second, you will need to add sulfite like Hippie suggested. I will add some to your bottle order.

You should also have a packet of Sorbate and a packet of Chitosan. Let me know if you need replacements for these, as well.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you George.
I didn't get the kit from you. I am now wishing I had. Somewhere in the
forum I read something about FVW not being Corporate america. How true!

Thanks also to the other who responded. This is a great forum.

Peter

Back