Whole House water filters for wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDBOATNY

Reaction score
I am thinking about adding a filter system to go with my vaccum pump, and have a few questions.

how much wine do you loose in the filter and housing?

where do I find 1 micron filters at a reasonable cost?

will the filter remove a stubborn pectin haze from apple wine? (tried super Kleer and more pectin enzime, close to clear now but not quite there)

I read some old post on the subject and most people say they only filter clear wine with no sediment. If a wine is clear /no sediment, why filter it?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Dave

Dave once you filter a nice clear wine and compare the two vessels side by side you'll understand what we mean by a brilliant wine. This could be the difference between first place or second in a wine competition.

If your not competing I would say it's not necessary.

I use Filtersfast.com
http://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-PD-1-934-Sediment-Filter.asp
I had a stubborn peach wine that had this exact haze that fining just wouldnt get rid of and desopite what I have ever learned abut filktering I went for it and it came out brilliant and this wine was like 9 months in ageing. In short it didnt clog the filter and all was ghgod but I wouldnt try this with a cloudy wine that hadnt been cleared first very well as Ive had that problemsort of also when I accidently stuck the racking cane down to the bottom in the very beginning and changing out a filter in the middle really sucks!

I use the kind Wade is referring to and they work very well. Appear to be cheaper than the ones Rick mentions.

modified filter housing

Here is a pic of my modified filter housing - I tapped a 1/2 npt and screwed in a plastic water pipe so it pulls off the bottom of the housing. Less co2 pulled thru and less wine left in the housing as well after using it.

I also have purshased filters from McMaster Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#45235k94/=eys0fr
which also carries .35 micron filter for around 12 dollars

thanks steve

filter housing[210x280].JPG

Last edited:
I guess no one ever answered your other question. Its not what gets lost in the housing as you can always unscrew the housing and pour into your vessel but more what gets trapped in a filter and thats why I prefer the non string wound filters as they dont soak up the liquid like a mop.

Thanks everyone!
I ordered a housing and a few filters 1's and5's. I'll give it a try when they arrive.

Which housing did you buy? Post the link please. There is a reason Im asking!!!!!!

I didn't see that one . I would have liked a clear one. Maybe I will buy it on the next order. And it was cheaper. It seems to happen with most stuff I buy. Oh well.
Thanks Wade.

If you had asked I would have gladly let you know about it. Grab a braket also and then you can mount it under your counter out of the way or on a wall or cabinet door. I mounted mine under my counter and drilled a hole way in the back to run my hose up through the counter. I would just fill the hose up with kmetsa solution in a loop and plug the open end while not in use.

Ace hardware should have the fittings for you or they can get them. Dont use brass and fro some reason thats all Home Depot and Lowes want to carry anymore for some stupid reason.

Vacuum filtering

I just ordered a vacuum pump from Amazon, as I got tired of using the brake bleeder to degas. Was not really sure what pump to get, but bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CO9GX6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

A Robinair 15310.

So now I need to figure out the plumbing. I assume I can use those orange carboy caps some of the sores sell ( for what i don't know). The have two connections. Either that or I can drill out a number 7 bung, but they seem hard to find. The number 6 bung I have on the hand pump, comes awfully close to popping into the carboby over 20 inches of mercury. Tolarnce on the carboy neck seems to vary.

I will also need some protection to prevet fluid getting into the compressor. The whole house filter enclosure would do that nicely. So I might as well take it to the next step and try filtering that way as well.

Question is, howmany microns. Thought I read 3 was about right for red wine. These filters come in 1 or 5. One sounds like too much filtering, and might affect body.

Is 5 enough?

Wade, if you still have thos connectors or the filter housing as well, I am interested. You are correct, brass at Home Depot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered a vacuum pump from Amazon, as I got tired of using the brake bleeder to degas. Was not really sure what pump to get, but bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CO9GX6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

A Robinair 15310.

So now I need to figure out the plumbing. I assume I can use those orange carboy caps some of the sores sell ( for what i don't know). The have two connections. Either that or I can drill out a number 7 bung, but they seem hard to find. The number 6 bung I have on the hand pump, comes awfully close to popping into the carboby over 20 inches of mercury. Tolarnce on the carboy neck seems to vary.

I will also need some protection to prevet fluid getting into the compressor. The whole house filter enclosure would do that nicely. So I might as well take it to the next step and try filtering that way as well.

Question is, howmany microns. Thought I read 3 was about right for red wine. These filters come in 1 or 5. One sounds like too much filtering, and might affect body.

Is 5 enough?

Wade, if you still have thos connectors or the filter housing as well, I am interested. You are correct, brass at Home Depot.

you will need 1/4 turn valves,gauge,vacuum cannister,vacuum release and a filter to hopefully catch whatever oil comes out of the exhaust port.

A 6.5 tappered bunge is what you are looking for
the orange cap is a universal bunge made for 3,5,and 6 gallon glass containers

thanks steve
http://allinonewinepump.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Kev, IMO that was not a good investment and we could have steared you into either what vacuumpumpman sells which is waaaaaayyyyyyy better or at least a Ebay pump for almost the same price or even cheapoer with all the stuff you still need and it would have been an oiless pump! The pumps like yours that require oil actjually sopray a very fine mist that you cant see but you will smell and will actually if up against a wall will dicolor your wall not to mention you will be breathing it in in small doses. Is there anyway you can still return it?

Pump

Kev, IMO that was not a good investment and we could have steared you into either what vacuumpumpman sells which is waaaaaayyyyyyy better or at least a Ebay pump for almost the same price or even cheapoer with all the stuff you still need and it would have been an oiless pump! The pumps like yours that require oil actjually sopray a very fine mist that you cant see but you will smell and will actually if up against a wall will dicolor your wall not to mention you will be breathing it in in small doses. Is there anyway you can still return it?

Ouch! No I cannot easily return it, it was imported across the border into Canada, in transit now. Returning would be a real pain. I will check and see what is involved.

Thought it would work well with that Valley Vitner bottle filler. It was a 3 CFM pump, so it would be reasonably quick.

Please point out what you would suggest.

Thanks

Kev

Please

I can always

Thanks Wade, you really just get to the point of things. I believe alot of us tried the oil vacuum pumps at first - until it smoked us out of our work area (LOL)

thanks s teve

Latest posts

Back