Making wine for first time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azoreancaio

Junior
Reaction score
We are making a 5 gallon carboy of wine in glass. We would like a semi-sweet smokey flavor but not a rose. Smokey is important to be detected in the aroma and flavor. Want it smooth without a bite. What do you recommend? Thanks!!!

From Kit or Grapes

Sorry, I could not tell if you were looking for a recommendation of a kit wine or you wanted to make this from grapes.

Paul

I've been pleased with these

These are three wine kits that I put together and am pleased with.

Chilean Malbec, WE Grand Cru International
RJ Spagnols Italian Chianti Riserva
RJ Spagnols Italian Valpolicella Ripassa

I'd look into degassing. This is one of the biggest issues for new kit winemakers.

Have a great day,
Paul

I would say instead of looking for such specific qualities, try a kit and see what comes out. You are not going to be Robert Mondavi on your first kit and you won't be able to make it exactly how you want it.

Go for something maybe like a Zinfandel or Shiraz that uses oak dust or chips in the kit. Depending on the toast level of the oak, it will add something closer to "smoky" in the flavor profile. Or grab your favorite varietal of red and buy oak cubes or chips on your own and taste it for what you are looking for.

The heavier the toast on oak, the "smokier" the flavor.

Latest posts

Back