What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, Yep. We have taken home a few racks of those as well! We have been working on a container of the Costco smoked pulled pork. That stuff is amazing and so easy as well.

Pulled pork in the slow cooker is amazing and simple. And a pork shoulder is cheap too. Great Sloppy Joes and the main ingredient in the best chili you'll ever taste.

I just started some ribs. Hours from now I'll be in rib heaven and have it with some reheated Ziti from yesterday.

Ribs 002 (1024x768).jpg

LOL, Yep. We have taken home a few racks of those as well! We have been working on a container of the Costco smoked pulled pork. That stuff is amazing and so easy as well.

IMG_7030.jpg

Never tried that pulled pork, will check it out, tips?

It comes in a cryovac plastic container. Fully cooked and shredded. Just reheat in microwave and add BBQ sauce to your liking. We serve it as pulled pork sandwiches with the usual sides.

What makes this especially good is it is SMOKED! :hug

Never tried that pulled pork, will check it out, tips?

It comes in a cryovac plastic container. Fully cooked and shredded. Just reheat in microwave and add BBQ sauce to your liking. We serve it as pulled pork sandwiches with the usual sides.

What makes this especially good is it is SMOKED! :hug

You have a kamado - fire it up. :)

Burger night. Started with some 80/20 ground chuck. Played 'clean out the spice cabinet' and added some Emeril's steak rub (basically Montreal Steak Seasoning), what was left of two small jars of BBQ rub, dried parsley and some Woosty sauce.

Went freezer diving and found remnants of my last batch of bacon, which I thought was all gone. Good thing I have another batch curing now that'll get smoked this weekend. Also grabbed some tots - ya gotta have tots.

Grilled them up over charcoal and some spent french oak cubes. Then topped with cheddar and a slice of tomato and served on a brioche bun. Sitting fat and happy right now.

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

Tonight was boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cooked piccata style. And, yes, Jim, I used lemon juice! ;) All told, there was butter, garlic, shallots, white wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, and capers in the pan sauce. Came out well. Plain white rice, and some roasted halves of HUGE brussels sprouts, covered with parmigiano-reggiano. Washed down with a fat chard.

Every so often, my wife would happen by while I was browsing the forum, a couple of times she spotted the pics of your meal preparations and wanted to see them. She's the clean eater in the family and keeps me balanced. Regularly now, she asks "what's the guy from North Dakota eating tonight?".

Did you make them from scratch (or did you go furniture shopping - lol)?

If from scratch, is it possible to post the recipe?

The recipe is definitely easier than their instructions lol

Ingredients
For the Meatballs

2 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1-1/2 cups cubed white sandwich bread, crusts removed (you'll need about 4 slices)
1 pound ground pork
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 pound ground beef (85% lean)

For the Sauce

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar (see note below recipe)
1 cup heavy cream
1-1/4 teaspoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice, from one lemon
Finely chopped parley, for garnish (optional)

Instructions
For the Meatballs

Preheat the oven to 325. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up and place an ovenproof baking/cooling rack over top; spray the rack very generously with nonstick cooking spray.
Whisk the eggs and cream together in a medium bowl. Stir in the bread and mash until no large bread chunks remain. Set aside.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the pork, garlic, allspice, pepper, salt, and baking powder on high speed until smooth and pale, about 2 minutes, scraping bowl as necessary. Add the bread mixture to the mixing bowl and beat on low speed until combined (so it doesn't splatter), then increase the speed to high and beat until smooth and homogeneous, about 1 minute, scraping the bowl as necessary. Add the beef and mix on medium-low speed until just incorporated, about 20 seconds, scraping the bowl as necessary. Using wet hands, form the meat mixture into 1-1/2-inch round meatballs and place on the prepared rack. (The mixture is very sticky and wet hands help; keep wetting your hands as you go). Bake for about 20 minutes, until just done.
Note: You'll notice that the rack will leave little marks on the meatballs but they will not be too noticeable once the meatballs are covered with sauce.

For the Sauce
While the meatballs are cooking, make the sauce. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until flour is golden and fragrant, about 1 minute. (Careful not to burn; it goes from golden to burnt quickly.) Whisk in the chicken broth, getting rid of any lumps. Add the brown sugar and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, whisking and scraping down the sides of the pan occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened and reduced, about 10 minutes. Add the cream, soy sauce and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, whisking and scraping down the sides occasionally, until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon, about 10 minutes. Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce and simmer, turning occasionally to coat with the sauce, until heated through. Stir in the lemon juice, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, then serve.

This is the recipe I follow except I don't bake them I do them in a fry pan and for the sauce I add 1T of flour

I've been craving falafel for a while now and decided to try to make it myself for the first time. I think it was a success. Easier than I thought and so tasty. I didn't have pita but used sone fresh grilled tortillas with cucumber and tomato, lettuce and a lemon tahini sauce.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1485008270.099776.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1485008279.804935.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1485008294.108251.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1485008303.856007.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back