Wine Rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will try to put up a few pictures of the wine racks I have made using the 96 bottle plywood wine rack plans. Neither one of mine hold 96 bottles. I modified them to suit myself and the plywood one holds 143 bottles. The solid oak one holds 112. I haven't put any finishes on them and didn't take extreme pains to sand a lot, so they aren't that pretty, but are very functional. Don't laugh at my bottles please, I take whatever people give me to use. I also took the pictures without cleaning the bottles, so there is dust on them.

2006-02-20_172038_WineRack001.jpg

2006-02-20_172019_WineRack003.jpg

2006-02-20_172001_WineRack004.jpg

2006-02-20_171939_WineRack005.jpg

2006-02-20_171915_WineRack007.jpg
2006-02-20_171821_WineRack008.jpg

Appleman.....That's a lot of nice looking wine....dust=age...that's a good thing.
Did you anchor the racks to the wall????
I really like that rack, it has such a small footprint and holds so many bottles...kind of wish we'd have seen that plan before we built ours, but love ours too, they fit our space available.
Nice to see a plan come to life.

Appleman, those are really nice racks, thanks for posting pictures. I'm waiting to build more racks till I see more pics like yours, which give me better ideas for the ultimate rack..... Or at least one that looks good and will be as functional as yours seem to be.

smiley32.gif
Good job, and I think your bottles look great! If you are getting free bottles from people, good for you! And if you want to see real dust..................
smiley9.gif

I haven't anchored them to the walls yet but keep meaning to. The rear rails would be an easy way to anchor- drill two holes at two studs and put 2- 2 1/2 inch screws in it. It is very stable anyway and we don't live in California- although we do get a few good shakers now and again. Couple a years ago we got a 5.9 one.

Appleman,

Good looking jobs there. Laugh at your bottles? Why would I do that? You have more consistency in types than I do. Heck, I don't even see any frosted ones or champagne bottles.

Fill her up That is fine looking. Time to build another. How did you get the wood to gray up like that.

smiley4.gif
Yes it is time for another rack. Counted the open spaces tonight- 35 open. I bottled 20 (5 pure apple and 15 Ruby Cabernet)over the weekend and have another 15 waiting to bottle. That'll make her full. I have another 5 carboys full and another 6 waiting in the wings to make. I fiure I will make another couple four footers and fill that wall up. The rack isn't really gray, probably just the monitor. It is red oak and has a pinkish hue. I should at least seal the wood or it will gray over time. If oak gets wet, it will turn black and can be pretty ugly.

By the way, the apple was made with only pure pressed apples. I made too many gallons to drink as fresh cider in one batch. It started fermenting in the fridge so I rebottled it and put an airlock on to see what would happen. SG was 1.040 and ended at .995 with no added yeast or Sulfite. It went through a malo-lactic ferment about December 15- Feb 1 when it stopped bubbling again. I added K-Meta at that time and left it alone until this weekend. It is one of the best tasting apple cider/wines I've made to date. Luck of the draw with wild yeasts.

you are truely the real appleman with fresh pressed cider made into a fine wine with nothing added....
smiley32.gif

Thanks for the photos appleman. Love the wine racks. You have convinced me to make this simple, but very efficient rack. Bought the plywood today! Edited by: pkcook

Back