When making fruit wine, should I squeeze the fruit bag daily?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
When making fruit wine, should I squeeze the fruit bag daily? Or just at the end?

TIA

No need to squeeze. Let the PE do its thing in the begining.

Punch down the bag 2X a day

And when I remove the bag of what is left of the fruit I no longer squeeze the bag. I found this left the must cloudy. (At least it did this to my raspberry wines) Now I just hold the bag above the bucket and let it drip without sqeezing. The must clears a lot faster this way.

Larry

I squeeze the heck out of it.... I want every drop. It clears. Shouldn't be drinking it for 9-12 months anyway... so I have time. It keeps my hands off it while it integrates too!

Debbie

Fruite Type Determines

I've seen some fruit recipes that call for pressing (blueberries) and others that say not to (strawberries). This past weekend I made a blueberry f-pack for a batch that I have in progress. I did my best to get the juice out of the blueberries, but found a thick past left over. Darned if I could let that go to waste. I the remainder of the blueberry paste on some icecream. My wife and I both loved it. Waste not want not... tasty!!! I'm so glad our local blueberry orchard has frozen berries for sale year round.

I squeeze the bag every day and drop it back in while in the primary.

This sometimes causes problems with to much tannen but it is easily treated with the egg white trick.

Last edited:
If you freeze your fruit and add in pectic - you should not have to squeeze your bag - those 2 things should be enough to get all the juice out of the fruit.

Just take the bag out and let the free run come out - when that is done - i pitch it.

My wife uses the left overs for freezer jam. Good stuff.
I quit squeezing the bag but I do let it hang over a 3 gallon bucket for a couple hours after I take it from the must.

I think squeezing is ok, if you want to wait for it to clear. If you don't care if its clear, go ahead. I personally used to hold it up for a few minutes and then discard.

at ace hardware they have Paint strainer bags. the same as in the local wine supply shops. about 1/2 the price. or is my wine in for a messed up supprise with that nylon bag and elastic band arount the top...........:rdo:rdo

your OK

The 5 gallon paint straining bags are what we are talking about.

Latest posts

Back