Wine from stovetop 'juice steamer'

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrojim

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope I don't get asked to leave the group for even posting such a question, but here it is anyhow.

Amazon and others sell 'juice steamers' that cook the juice from fruit. These are generally used for making jelly and jam, and are able to extract juice even from fruits like apricots and peaches very efficiently. Here's a link to one: https://www.amazon.com/Cook-Home-NC-00256-11-Quart-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0055Q2D2W

My question is, what are the implications of making wine from 'cooked' juice? Clearly the flavor and maybe even the consistency would be different from wine that was fermented on the fruit, but it might be fun to try this. Sure wouldn't have to worry about native yeast! Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am did a muscadine by juicing the fruit using one of those. Worked just fine. I would recommend using a little extra pectic enzyme thoughost to help with the clearing process

I think thats a legit question. I use a omega 8006 it has a slow rpm auger that presses the juice from the fruit minimizing introducing oxygen leaving a fairly dry pulp.

Latest posts

Back