43rd Annual US Amateur Winemaking Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cellar masters

To all those who entered WHETHER YOU, win ,place or show , always remember your competing not against everyone else, but yourself, keep developing your skills ,never quit and always ''THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX'':db

How many of us entered?just interested and of those how many entered our contest?

When you get your findings back ,we can either discuss them in a PM format or open,I was not on all the flights ,but on most,

As far as our contest goes Johnt is on vacation,when he returns he'll make that decision.to send metals and scores back in one movement.
..As far as cellar masters goes I would think sometime in December,there annual meeting is in January around the 16th.Im sending two more bottles of the Coffee Port out to them as they requested along with the process they then discuss with in there meeting's the winners,BOS and the merits of them .at least that's how they explained it to me.When you do get your awards from them post them proudly,for know matter where you scored you tried ,learn and always THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.and thanks.

Last edited:
I received my notes and ribbons over the weekend, I'm probably a day or two ahead of most of you being on the west coast. The notes on my 14 cabernet made me realize I need to invest is some additional testing equipment in order to improve. Notes also made me realize that judging can be subjective and vary quite a bit. My strawberry had scores of 19.5, 17, 18 and 13 (what the heck was he drinking?) and got a silver that could have been gold except for Mister 13.

medals.jpg

Sometimes judging doesn't seem consistent After 20 years of competition you grow to understand that so the difference is win ,place or show you win.to me sending out my product and seeing what the ribbon response is,meaning,lets say I send out a pino noir,t o three different contest over a shot span of time.Of the consensus is the wine is a silver and nothing more.But if it floats from top to bottom then the wine isn't of a constant value across the board and then it's the contest itself,does everyone win? That's why I do like smaller venues but tighter judging.Ex.This year at the Great white contest,very tight judging and if there was a question it was asked.However on larger contest your compare on a massive scale and sometimes the wine's tend to blend together,. Or yours is just that good and stands out to all the standards of the wine style and process.Competition is very subjective so I like the ribbon theory,( no matter were I send it it's a silver /then it's a silver).

I had one of those last year when I entered the same competition! Sent in three wines and 3 out of 4 judges scored all wines either gold or silver. One judge scored all 3 either bronze or just slightly less than.........

I received my notes and ribbons over the weekend, I'm probably a day or two ahead of most of you being on the west coast. The notes on my 14 cabernet made me realize I need to invest is some additional testing equipment in order to improve. Notes also made me realize that judging can be subjective and vary quite a bit. My strawberry had scores of 19.5, 17, 18 and 13 (what the heck was he drinking?) and got a silver that could have been gold except for Mister 13.

Without destroying judges no matter what there knowledge of wine is ,is that sometimes amateur judges really don't know what the true characteristic of particular wine is,especiall trying to deseminate the northern varietalsost people I talk to haven't a clue what the term Foxy means,its all subjective but fun. I notice not one person ask about there scores with the great white contest and that would have been a good topic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back