Adult root beer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ang

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe for hard root beer? I would love to try it!

I can get a two gallon kit but it only has enough yeast to carbonate it- no alcohol. I assumed I could use some of the wine yeast I have to put some punch to it.
Following.

I've made a 19L alcohol base using a turbo yeast. It came out clear as water and taste reminds me of Saki. I found a Root Beer extract that makes 19L and plan to add the flavour to the base. I have only wine bottles so I won't carbonate it unless I choose to clean up some pop bottles.

The alco-base came out to 19% so I don't want it to look too much like pop and have trouble! Especially with kids around

I just started mine which was one from a BYO magazine some time back.
I put about 4-5 pounds sugar in 5 gallons water with about 2 tablespoons molasses. 1 tsp nutrient. 1.040SG

I am going to ferment this out, keg it with gnome root beer extract and simple syrup to taste.

Keeping in cold to prevent refermentation

I will let you know how this tastes...could be good, could be sheit.

Dawg, I make homemade root beer using sasparila, sassafras, wintergreen leaves and vanilla beans. Make a tea and sweeten it with honey. Not sure why you couldn't use this to back sweeten an already fermented base. Never tried it before. I always keg carbonate my root beer so no yeast added.

I'd be interested in your results if you give it a try. Here's my recipe for 1 gal of root beer. I'll admit it's not perfect, I continue to tweak it with every batch. Lots of trial and error to get to this point.

1 gallon water
1 tbsp sasparilla root
1 tbsp sassafras bark
1 tbsp licorice root
1 tsp wintergreen leaves
3 star anice pods
course chopped ginger root

simmer for two hours, strain then add

Vanilla bean
1 cup honey
1 cup brown sugar

Keg carbonate