I need wine bottles!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well look at you doing your homework. :b

Zintrigue!! Lol. Hardly. Just noticed the coincidence right there in the 1st paragraph.
So how’s life out there in Cal? Long time no speak. The kids still letting you have some precious countertop space for wine? Oh- and the vines! Did u end up getting anything going in the yard yet?

Ah,but all the wine bottles in Maine have a 15 cent deposit on them. If you buy from recyclers , I have spent 21 cents each there.
Still not bad per case.

Bill

Zintrigue!! Lol. Hardly. Just noticed the coincidence right there in the 1st paragraph.
So how’s life out there in Cal? Long time no speak. The kids still letting you have some precious countertop space for wine? Oh- and the vines! Did u end up getting anything going in the yard yet?

Hey Aj, you have a really good memory. Counter space, yes; sanity, no; thankfully one counteracts the other, right? No vines yet, going to be putting in orders from https://www.groworganic.com/ in the fall. Probably just two vines to start and see if they survive the bugs/squirrels/diseased oak/clay soil. You ever get around to making that dragon blood? I just opened up a bottle from a year ago and I was pleasantly surprised to find notes of butterscotch in the aroma - most unexpected. And still going strong with those vacuvins. ;)

Fun fact! Did you know that each state has the choice to change the drinking age?! But if any state lowers the drinking age to under 21 the federal government cuts off funding for highways! Lol it's like blackmail!
Side note: Louisiana was effectively the last state to raise its drinking age to 21 because of a sale loophole that let bar owners sell alcohol to 18-20 year olds. Curious legal case from 1996:

"For years, she and other advocates worked to sew shut the loophole in a Louisiana law that protected bar owners from prosecution for selling alcohol to those between 18 and 20, even as it barred those teen-agers from buying alcohol. They won last year, or at least they thought so, when the Legislature banned the sale of alcohol to those under 21.

But then last week, the Louisiana Supreme Court ruled that the state's drinking age of 21 is a form of age discrimination, and tossed out the 1995 law as well as the 1986 law that barred those under 21 from buying alcohol. Louisiana has become the only state in the nation with a drinking age of 18."

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/23/us/louisiana-stands-alone-on-drinking-at-18.html

Hey Aj, you have a really good memory. Counter space, yes; sanity, no; thankfully one counteracts the other, right? No vines yet, going to be putting in orders from https://www.groworganic.com/ in the fall. Probably just two vines to start and see if they survive the bugs/squirrels/diseased oak/clay soil. You ever get around to making that dragon blood? I just opened up a bottle from a year ago and I was pleasantly surprised to find notes of butterscotch in the aroma - most unexpected. And still going strong with those vacuvins. ;)

Lol. Winemaking for me is like my meditation. I get to forget about everything in life and center my focus on it. Wifey calls it my “happy place” or my zen. And she’s right. Time flies when I’m working down there.
I made one DB. And it went over great. I meant to have another for this summer given the requests. Just haven’t got around to it yet. Soon though. 1st one was the dragonette version. I may go traditional this time or may do 2 for different recipes. Haven’t really looked into it yet.
Good luck with the vines. (Btw no more vacuvin for me. Was gifted the AIO over a year ago. Already put some serious miles on it!)

They still let minors drink in WI as long as a parent is present. They can't serve the minor or sell to a minor, but they can set the drink down in front of the parent and the kid can have his beer. WE'RE #1!!

Side note: Louisiana was effectively the last state to raise its drinking age to 21 because of a sale loophole that let bar owners sell alcohol to 18-20 year olds. Curious legal case from 1996:

"For years, she and other advocates worked to sew shut the loophole in a Louisiana law that protected bar owners from prosecution for selling alcohol to those between 18 and 20, even as it barred those teen-agers from buying alcohol. They won last year, or at least they thought so, when the Legislature banned the sale of alcohol to those under 21.

But then last week, the Louisiana Supreme Court ruled that the state's drinking age of 21 is a form of age discrimination, and tossed out the 1995 law as well as the 1986 law that barred those under 21 from buying alcohol. Louisiana has become the only state in the nation with a drinking age of 18."

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/23/us/louisiana-stands-alone-on-drinking-at-18.html

Shortly after that ruling 20 years ago, the court reversed its decision and the drinking age remains 21 to this day. In April this year, a moron Senator had a bill to attempt to change it back, SB 429 I believe, but it didn’t go anywhere......

It is legal for an 18-20 yo to have a drink with a parent / guardian present who purchases the beverage.

Last edited:
It is legal for an 18-20 yo to have a drink with a parent / guardian present who purchases the beverage.

There is no age restrictions for minors to drink in WI if you are with a parent who is over 21. You can posses but not consume alcohol at 18-20 - so you can work in a bar and serve drinks before 21.

Lol. Winemaking for me is like my meditation. I get to forget about everything in life and center my focus on it. Wifey calls it my “happy place” or my zen. And she’s right. Time flies when I’m working down there.
I made one DB. And it went over great. I meant to have another for this summer given the requests. Just haven’t got around to it yet. Soon though. 1st one was the dragonette version. I may go traditional this time or may do 2 for different recipes. Haven’t really looked into it yet.
Good luck with the vines. (Btw no more vacuvin for me. Was gifted the AIO over a year ago. Already put some serious miles on it!)

AIO, the Ferrari of winemaking tools. (well, to me, anyway) One day my "meditation" will involve one, too. Right alongside an eclipse kit. :b

Don't know if I got lucky or not. But the other day, I ordered a pound of KMeta, some foil caps and two cases of bottles from MoreWine. I only paid $9.94 in shipping and it was here in two days.

I've been thinking about bottles. I haven't finished making my wine yet, but I've been thinking about how to get bottles. Glad to know it might be possible to get some from a restaurant. I also have my neighbor saving some for me and of course, I've set aside of couple from our family consumption.I think I'll try the used bottles for the first batch rather than buying new. I'll just have to make sure they're really cleaned well.

An area homebrew/wine store sells used cases that they've arranged to take off the hands of an area winery (after tastings) for $6.50. The bottles require cleaning and de-labeling, but each box is a matching bottle style/color, and non-punted, which is nice for gravity bottle fillers.

Latest posts

Back