Acid Ph and SO2 Power Point

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, tons- and all great reading!
My Thanks for all the material!

Tim

Thank you so much for posting this! I just found this website about 30 minutes ago and already I'm having a bunch of questions answered. This is quite helpful; thank you again! :br

Tom,
I read thru your slides {thank-you} I have my own white wine I started from my vineyard and started mlf on Monday and the ph is 3.01 is it going to be hard to start it, that mlf is kinda expensive $8.00 a pak. should I add water and bring the ph up? will that delute the wine? what signs should i look for to see if it working?
Thanks Rob

Why MLF on a white?
$8.00 isnt that bad. But, if doing more you can get VP-41 or 31. This will do up to 66gal. this is what I use.
MLF is hard to see working. Look HARD for small bubbles coming up the side

Well right, I have read white wine can benifit from mlf and I have read that only for reds, I have a friend with a small vineyard and always does mlf on his whites, he says it smoothes it out. Hard to believe one book I pick up says one thing and another says different. where can I find what you are using. I have Lalvin 1g for 6 gal, I have 24 gal, sooooo will it start with my low ph

A late answer but I need to pop my posting cherry..

..my question is..can ph be adjusted during or after fermentation? thanks

Either is acceptable, although during is the prefered method. Remember to calculate the addition using the estimated volume of finished wine, not the total volume of must.
If you are going to put the wine through mlf then be aware this will also affect the pH (slight increase) and TA (slight decrease) of the finished wine.

Hi Tom,

I'm new to thd forum and was just checking out your slide deck which is very helpful.

The Adjusting SO2 slide is of particular interest to me because I had figured Id added to much K meta to my 82l of 4.0 pH (now 4.2 after 3 days cold soak). I added 18g thinking this was 125ppm. However the slide seems to indicate 50% of this will become bound...? If this is the case then I think I can relax a bit about inhibiting the MT I've just pitched in. Am I right or is this wishful thinking on my part?

Latest posts

Back