WineXpert Limited Edition 2014 Triumph

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The yeast they included is EC1118.

I think I'm going to sub something else, but not sure what yet.

I thought the same thing but just went ahead with the EC1118. I added ft rouge tannin to the primary as well. Gonna see how this goes.

Last edited:
I received mine today as well. I will use the EC-1118 but I will ensure the SG is up 1.100 even if I have to add some simple syrup. My kit came with 2 bags of oak powder which I will add. It doesn't have any oak cubes, however I'm considering adding some oak cubes to the secondary. Any thoughts on that? I'll be interested on any tweaks that anyone makes. This could be a good time to compare notes as we all make this wine. I plan to start it this weekend or next week. I have a Reisling in the secondary and I also just received a WE Expert Nebbiolo that I want to get going.

Dave

Just curious....what's the issue with EC-1118 ?

There is not a problem, but it is perceived that EC-1118 does not add beneficial flavors to the wine, i.e., is neutral; in contrast, other yeasts are said to enhance varietal character. Swapping in a different yeast is a common first tweak to try to enhance a kit wine.

EC-1118 is reported to be a very strong fermenter, with a high alcohol tolerance, and low nutritional needs. See http://www.lallemandwine.com/products/catalogue/product-detail/?range=9&id=20

A side note: Aaargh. It looks like Lallemand rearranged their website, and made it less useful. You used to be able to look by grape, and see what yeasts they recommended for it. Now, it appears you have to look by yeast, and see what grapes work well with that yeast. Huge step backwards.

See also: http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

Sour_grapes said it much better than I could have.

EC-1118 is a perfectly good yeast. It will rip right through a fermentation. It's fast, exceedingly efficient, and will get you right down to bone dry in a matter of a few days. It also isn't as picky about what temperature you pitch it at. I use it pretty exclusively in the summer when keeping my fermenting bucket at 70 degrees would be a full time job around here. Ain't nobody got time for that!

I can keep my house and the must cool enough now that using one of more finicky yeasts is possible. I plan on a cooler and slower fermentation which can leave you with more nose and some of the more fruity flavors.

So it really isn't that there is anything wrong with EC-1118. Swapping out yeast is just another way for me to experiment and gain a bit of knowledge. I know it's going to be fabulous no matter what yeast I use.

Simpsini, I'll be starting the kit this weekend, probably on Sunday. I plan on bottling one of my Pacific Quartet kits tonight and that will free up a 6 gallon carboy. Not sure if I'm going to add oak cubes or not. I'll taste it after I complete the instructions and then see where it's at.

Jericurl,
Have you decided on which yeast strain you will be going with?
I am hoping my order arrives by tomorrow and will get it underway on Sunday.
My local store only carries Red Star brand yeast.
This is going to be my second kit, so I don't necessarily have to tweak, but would be interesting to see if different strain can do.

Thanks,
Steve

Jericurl,
Have you decided on which yeast strain you will be going with?
I am hoping my order arrives by tomorrow and will get it underway on Sunday.
My local store only carries Red Star brand yeast.
This is going to be my second kit, so I don't necessarily have to tweak, but would be interesting to see if different strain can do.

Thanks,
Steve

No idea yet, other than it will be something I've already got on hand.
That narrows my choices to:

Lalvin:
EC-1118
71B-1122
K1-V1116
D47
Bourgovin RC 212
QA23

Red Star:
Premier Cuvee
Cote des Blancs
Montrachet

I just copied and pasted from my wine supplies doc.
Probably leaning towards RC212 but I'll do a bit more reading Saturday night and decide.

Hey big thanks to Jericurl and Sour Grapes for answering my question on the yeast.

I'm picking up a Passport Series Brunello tomorrow night after work so maybe I'll try a different yeast with that one.

I'm into the more full bodied Italian wines that have higher ABV content and I've noticed that most of those kits come with the EC-1118 maybe for the reason of the higher alcohol. Anyways, lots to ponder...thanks!

Hey big thanks to Jericurl and Sour Grapes for answering my question on the yeast.

I'm picking up a Passport Series Brunello tomorrow night after work so maybe I'll try a different yeast with that one.

I'm into the more full bodied Italian wines that have higher ABV content and I've noticed that most of those kits come with the EC-1118 maybe for the reason of the higher alcohol. Anyways, lots to ponder...thanks!

I would be tempted to use BM4x4 on that. BM4x4 is a rarity -- it is a mixture of two yeasts. One is BM45, which is also known as "Brunello." The other yeast is an as-yet unrevealed strong fermenter.

Now I am giving some serious thought on swapping out the yeast on this one.
My local store only carries Red Star, Pasteur Red from what I have read has some of the qualities to maybe better enhance this wine. Any thoughts from those who may have used it in past?

Thanks,

Steve

Did you get your kit yet? I chose this as my first kit to try. I got a call that I did not get in early enough on the pre-buy but that he (labelpeelers) thinks he can get some more in the next wk or two from the manufacturer. Hoping I get a call this week that it will ship! Fingers crossed!

Yes, started kit Sunday 2/15/15 swapped out the EC-1118 for RS Pasteur Red.
Racked to secondary yesterday, may have had a wee bit too much in carboy as I did get some blow over. As of this morning has calmed down quite a bit.

Thanks,

Steve

I'm starting this today. I'll be subbing out EC-1118 with Lalvin Bourgovin RC212.

I started my Triumph March 1st. Added a pound of raisins that came with my Mosti Meglioli Nebbliilo. I also added two ounces of medium French oak dust in primary. On March 6th I removed the raisins and racked to secondary with 2 ounces of medical m French cubes. I'm expecting big things from this one.

The ft rouge tannin IMO was a good move. The Ferment was nice and slow. I finished primary, secondary, clarification/ stabilizing and now is resting quietly in my Barrel. I agree. I think this is going to be a good one!

Back