California Sauv Blanc - Yeast Choices?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
I have a bucket of California Sauv Blanc ordered, as it was a great price and I'm a bit low on whites. So, I love the New Zealand Sauv Blanc from the Marlborough region, especially the grapefruit taste, which I find in Kim Crawford wines.

Certainly I understand that I can't turn this juice into a NZ wine, but I was wondering what are the best yeasts to enhance fruit and aroma in Sauv Blancs?

Thanks,

Tony

Thanks, a few questions:

How much?
Just toss it in or strainer bag?
Wash the zest with sulfates prior to pitching?
How long or is it just up to my taste?

Tony

Joeswine is the expert in this area and I've only done it once or twice. His "Good Wines Gone Bad" and "Thinking outside the box" threads have several posts on adding zest. I think a little goes a long way. By a little, I mean a teaspoon or less. But it is all up to personal taste. I'd give it a quick rinse, yes. And get organic if you can. The others have a wax coating on them. It is probably harmless, but if given the choice to not have it go into the wine, I'd take it.

I've used qa23 yeast on a few different whites and it has been great with all of them! Recently I did 30 gallons of cayuga white with 5 different types of yeasts and so far qa23 is the winner with taste and aroma.

Used the BA11, slow steady fermentation, transferred to secondary @ 1.010, finished .996. Cleared, racked and added zest of 1/2 organic grapefruit for a couple of weeks, will then rack off and age for 6 months.

Wine cleared well, racked off the zest, don't really smell or taste grapefruit as yet, just really green wine at this point. I report back in a few months and see if it made a difference.

That VL3 looks interesting for future consideration.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back